Thread: Profession.... Social Care??

Emma2412 is offline Junior Member

Default Profession.... Social Care??

Hi all,

I've a quick question. My Husband and I are moving to Christchurch in January 2013. The visa that we will be getting will have himself as primary applicant and myself as a dependent. The thing is that I will be looking for work when we get over there but i'm not sure the type of work that my BA degree in Social Care allows me to apply for when I get there. I have been told that Social Care as a job is seen more as an Irish profession but i'm not sure if that's the case.

Here in Ireland the work that I would be qualified for would be working in Residential Care homes for children, working in Aged Care, working withing the area of Mental Health, etc.

Does someone know if the degree that I hold will be suffice to do the same type of work in NZ?

I also know that it will be best to wait to apply for these types of jobs till I get there because of the nature of the work that I do. I'm just sooo confused on what jobs to apply for.

folubode is offline Junior Member

I hope somebody will come up with more precise answer but the few I knows is that most people I know working in those houses (old people, sick people, etc.) work at the level of helping with those people say providing care for them but seems you have a university qualification and it's more into administration? if that's the case, you'll be looking for a management role and I can imagine that would be hard from outside but it's possible. all the best.

Emma2412 is offline Junior Member

thanks for your reply folubode.

My degree is not for admin though. I have studied a "hands on" degree complete with work placement in quite a lot of areas. My problem is that some of the work that I would be qualified for in Ireland; in NZ you dont need a degree qualification to work in those areas. Other areas that I have qualified in here in Ireland, you in NZ would consider then being a Social Worker position but I dont hold a Social Work degree.. Its VERY confusing

It just seems like i'll wait till we make the big move and then apply for jobs then. Then i'm able to talk to people face to face and see what they are looking for in those positions.