Thread: ask about living in nz

rrrnnr is offline Junior Member

Default ask about living in nz

I have moved this post to give it its own thread.

hello dear

I am reza. I wanna come NZ, christchurch to continue my education in phd course. I just have a VISA with permitting 20 hours work per week. Can I find a suitable job, there and is its salary enough for living? I am educated in Mechanic Eng.

best regards

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I have no idea how easy it would be to get a part time job in Christchurch as some employers may only want full time employees but that's not to say there wouldn't be opportunities for part-timers, too. Obviously, if it's only for 20 hours there won't be so much money available as there would be if it was a full time job. Salaries vary from company to company and how you use that salary would dictate how long it will last. Some people share accommodation and eat/spend modestly and their money will go further than someone who lives alone and likes the good (expensive) things in life.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Hi Reza,

The pay you might receive really depends on whether there is a demand for your skills, and how experienced you are. If you are experienced in useful skills for a highly paid profession, you may get by on working only 20 hours a week, but it would not be a generous amount to live on.

There may be some demand in Christchurch for Mechanical Engineers, with the rebuilding after the quake, but the main demand is for Structural Engineers. The rest of the country is much more affected by the recession.

It appears from your message that your writing or use of English needs a little practice, or perhaps you just typed it quickly and did not check it? Language issues would make finding work more difficult.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by People Space View Post
    It appears from your message that your writing or use of English needs a little practice, or perhaps you just typed it quickly and did not check it? Language issues would make finding work more difficult.
    Good advice - it's often difficult enough for natural English speakers to find work in some parts of NZ because kiwi employers can sometimes be reluctant to employ people from outside the country.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jpegan Guest

During a PhD programme the most reliable and lucrative sorts of jobs for students are affiliated with the university itself.

I suggest you look into:

1. Teaching assistantships/casual lectureships
    2. Research assistantships
    3. Academic/ad

ministrative assistantships

Such jobs will also work around your studies. I'm an academic in Canada; we wouldn't accept an international PhD students without a really good likelihood of finding them paid work on campus.