Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perhaps we're just unlucky but it's too much

ImOrf is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Perhaps we're just unlucky but it's too much

Since moving to NZ we've been:

* Assaulted and hospitalised by a young white native NZ'er
    * Had our house turned upside down by the IRD
    * Had our car broken into within a 5 minute window while popping into a shop
    * Been ripped off by an MTA assured garage - MTA would not action a complaint
    * Been ripped of by a clueless car valuer (no alternative)
    * Been caught in the 'Leaky homes' debacle despite having a good quality property
    * Worked for some utter bastards - you're not as friendly as you'd like to have the world believe
    * Repeatedly turned down for work despite having a solid I.T. work history and skills
    * Openly been called a 'Pomme Bastard' in anger
    * Had to leave employment because company partners don't have the balls to deal with two-faced, backstabbing problem employees
    * Met too many 'Christian' Kiwis who's behaviours and attitudes are far from 'Christian'
    * Been blatantly mis-represented by the Police, and found them to be liars and self serving
    * Found real-estate agents to be generally clueless and have botched the sale of our house for almost a year in total

Generally, Kiwis are small-minded and lack general consideration for other's property inc. cars, houses etc.

This is just a snapshot of our experience since we moved to NZ from the UK around eight years ago.

I have to be honest, we're done here and won't be recommending NZ as a place to live.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Wow, you have had a bad time of it. Where are you living?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It's only very rarely we hear of anything like this and it would be interesting to know why so much antagonism and bad luck has been directed at you personally. Some people may experience a couple of problems with things mentioned on your list, but never all of them. NZ does have crime and problems, like any other country, but you also seem to have other issues not necessarily related to crime e.g. tangling with the IRD and the police. I don't know how long you've been in NZ, but you sure seem to have had a load of bad stuff going on. Is there another side to this woeful story?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

ImOrf is offline Junior Member

There's really nothing sinister in our story - we're both over 35 and are as straight as you can get, we don't drink or do drugs, we work reasonably hard (but not live to work) and care about the quality of service we provide to our respective employers.

Hand on heart, I will say that between the law firms my partner has worked in and the I.T. related positions I've held (in Auckland), we've seen numerous instances when your peers resent you for 'caring' about your work - especially when it unintentionally highlights their poor work ethics.

The IRD overturned our house because my partner worked as a secretary for a law firm here in NZ who it seemed was indulging in unlawful practices (yes - a law firm should know better). These guys are serious too, turning up with police, confiscating mobile phones so you can't make calls, talking down to you and treating you as criminals when in fact, you've done nothing.

Our police involvement was as a result of an assault on me and my partner in broad daylight. With the offender in custody everything was fine until we asked a friend and lawyer to act as our nominated point of contact and then the officer's attitude changed - becoming frustrated with us on the phone because we wouldn't agree to diversion for the offender. The police officer refused to correspond with our nominated point of contact, put the phone down on us and our point of contact and even told the lawyer they didn't know their job.

Months later, a police complaints inquiry acknowledged mistakes were made but even the inquiry was poorly handled with case files going missing, or case investigators being relocated and ours being shelved until we called to check on progress.

So, the offender is 'let off' because the police never took follow-up victim impact statements so there's no justice and no victim support - and we really needed it! Victim support basically said sorry we can't help - perhaps see your doctor.

About six months prior to all this I'd already been put on anti-depressants because of work. I've taken myself off them now and dealt with all the side effects.

I'm leaving with a few good memories (Overlander, Tongariro Crossing and skiing on Mt Ruapehu) and only a handful of trustworthy friends - some have already left and some are planning to when their financial situations allow it.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

That's awful, so sorry to hear about all the problems you've experienced. It sounds like your wifes employer was a typical greedy idiot who thought he could cheat the system, with no regard for anyone else. Who knows what that Police Officers problem was though, totally uncalled for attitude. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's good for others to know that real life happens in NZ to help balance their views. I think the level of things that happened to you is more the exception than the rule, and it's so unfortunate that it's ruined New Zealand for you. I suppose, at least, you are coming away with some good memories.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

That account sounds like one of those TV programmes/films where everything continually goes wrong and you think 'Thank God it's not real life'. Unfortunately, for you, it has been. It's a shame that the people involved will never realise what damage they've done to the kiwi good name by being so offensive and unhelpful. I think kiwis like to be considered to be the opposite and, in fact, a lot of the everyday folk are, but not necessarily those in authority, apparently.

Maybe things would have turned out differently had you settled in a different area although I'd have thought Auckland would have been pretty moderate in its treatment of the different circumstances. Sounds more like behaviour you'd expect from a remote 1-horse town where things haven't changed in decades. I hope your luck will change wherever you go next and life will settle down for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thedans is offline Member

Well, Don't move to the US! :) haha... all Joking aside, that does suck. That would not be a fun 8 years. One of the worst parts sounds like the employment deal. If you have a crappy job, you are not going to have a happy home life. Especially if you have a hard time leaving your work at work! I have to do that pretty much daily where I am at right now, but then again I really don't know your situation.

As a hopefully future NZ resident, that's always disheartening to hear these stories, and as motherbear said, hopefully wherever you settle next, it is the COMPLETE opposite of your NZ experience!

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default not too surprised!

Well, some might find me surprised to say that after 5 years I am a little disillusioned with life in NZ.
    Ok lots of plus's,but I can understand a lot of whats bean said.

Real estate agents, well after seeing what was out there when I was buying I thought I could do a better job!

After 12 months I have leant many things and would compare to being a very lowly paid double glazed salesman in UK.
    Ok, some are making a fortune and often things always fair, but darent print that.

So, here we are over four years, our money has shrunk and both professional people tryting to get proper jobs in job starved Dunedin!

And yes, they laugh at calling us Pom's and are very difficult if not impossible to get close too.
    We wonder if its our age or because we are foreign that we struggle even to get interviews.
    And yet, you sit and watch the constant back biting that goes on behind the scene's at companies and when a job comes along its not what you know but who!

I have seriously thought about selling up and leaving but where !!

But then, I go for a walk the weekend- no people -beautiful views...

Its so easy to get negative, but I suppose after 5 years we have forgotten about living in dear old POM land.

thedans is offline Member

macfood,

What profession are you and your wife in, out of curiosity?

macfod is offline Oh Masterful One

Default employment

I worked for Sanyo looking after electronics eith people such as Walmart and Tesco's/
    Now, I am in Real Estate..but looking for anything that pays a wage!

My wife was PA woking for KB Halliburton - now looking for any admin job that pays in an effort to keep our nett worth from dropping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast