Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: internet/ cell phone

thedans is offline Member

Default internet/ cell phone

I am guessing that the majority of people don't jabber jaw on their cell phones in NZ like they do in the US, right?! I was looking at the cell phone plans, and it's like 30 min/month for $35 or something (off the top of my head), where in the US it's about 400 min/month for $35.

And is home internet really monitored by how much usage you have (per GB) ? I can handle the crappy phone rates, but the internet too?! How do you Kiwi's do it? ;)

Maybe someone can shed some light on the situation, and maybe you guys just are truly that laid back, and could care less to talk to the rest of the world?!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Yes, it's true. Cell phone calls are amongst the most expensive in the OECD, although a recent company to enter the market (2degreesmobile.co.nz) are incredibly cheaper.

Bandwidth is monitored, you usually get a block plan of say 20GB, and if you reach that limit you get slowed down, or you pay for additional bandwidth. How much of a block you have depends on how much you subscribe to. Telecom (the major telecoms provider) has unsuccessfully attempted to launch an unlimited plan twice, but in both cases the system couldn't cope with the volume of data, partly due to a poor overseas link, and the rest to the aging infrastructure. There's light at the end of the tunnel, however, as the government (along with some private industry) are installing a nationwide "fibre-to-the-home" optical fibre network, and a new under sea fibre pipe to Australia to improve international connection.

Just a small caveat - nationwide in New Zealand generally just means the bigger cities!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Right on... I was being fairly sarcastic with most of my comments(i just re-read them), so hopefully I don't come off like a rude/crass American.

20GB also doesn't sound too bad, I thought i was reading like 1 and 2GB plans, which I was a little bummed. Most of the internet I can do without, but being as we will be far from home, I know it will be nice to skype with family back home.

How are the land line prices for international calling? Or would most people probably just use their internet connection for calls these days?

Are the connections pretty reliable as well? From what you said in your post, it seems as though connections aren't the greatest the further out from large population you go (as with most parts of the world). We are still trying to figure out where we want to live (if we get accepted). but We definitely do not want to live in the larger regions. Granted if I were to get a job in say Auckland we would want to move to the outskirts, where it is not so busy. So with all that, I guess my question is, if we moved to the outskirts of any large town would internet services be readily available?

Blog Entries

No, I don't think you're rude Sarcasm or not, they are valid questions!

You can get an indication of plans and pricing here: https://www.telecom.co.nz/broadband/...204466,00.html

Most other providers are around the same cost, but may offer different packages.

Once you leave the main centers, things tend to go down hill! Although most areas have land lines available, the further out from an area of decent sized population, the less likely you are to get broadband, or at least broadband of any decent speed. Areas surrounding Auckland won't be too bad as there's no such thing as a small population up that way! Areas bordering the other main centers tend to become more rural.

Calling overseas isn't too expensive, most providers offer some kind of capped calling rate (eg, Telecom is $5 for 2 hours, Orcon $3 for 2 hours etc) or you have the option of very cheap VOIP calling, provided you can get broadband! I'm sure plenty of expats use Skype though - I do.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

thedans

You have to appreciate capacity is smaller here so the providers try to get maximum revenue for the resources they have. And we do have the most expensive cell phone rates in the world but the coverage is good. You need to check the available internet service at the address you are looking to move. The further out in the wops (boonies to you) the slower it will get. Naked broadband is where you get no phone. You can get an inbound skype voip number for Auckland, Wellington, and Christchurch but not much else. This means people dial a land line number but it rings on your pc. Skype has some great calling plans so you can call anyone in the USA pretty cheap. You can even get an inbound USA voip number so family can call you cheap as if it were a local USA landline number.

Oh yeah, one more point he who dials or calls cell phones pays, not the owner of the phone. So you can talk as much as you want as long as people call you. So most people have a phone but don't use them much but kids text their brains out here.

I am on a Vodafone 30 gig plan, the biggest they have. I can double my data one time per month and that's it no more. After you use up 60 gig they cut you back to 64k bps. If you download movies all month now I think that will need to end. A movie is usually at lest 700 meg and sometime 1.8 gig for a dvd rip.

They used to track international traffic vs nz traffic but don't anymore. Just know that unlimited internet is coming to an end in the USA in 2012 as well. The ISP's have been working on it for years but they all have to make the change at the same time.

Hope that helps. Taffy gave you some great info on the subject. It isn't bad here just different from what you have today. But isn't that why you want to move here is a change??
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Thanks for the awesome reply Cliff (and taffy too of course)

That's good to know about the USA voip number, should make it easier for family to stay in contact.

I can live with the internet usage, I will d/l the occasional movie, but nothing crazy. most will probably be used up by video chat! :) I guess it is always a shocker going from unlimited to a certain capacity.

As far as cell phones go... so let me get this straight. If someone calls me on my cell phone minutes don't get charged to me? i only get charged for outgoing? or maybe i missed it all together?!

And we are not quite sure where we are moving yet, it kind of depends on where i (hopefully) land a job. I am in the process of getting passports for my kids, so as soon as we get those back i am going to submit my EOI. I am at 115 points, so we will see how it goes. I have also been applying to some jobs down there, but most everyone wants you to be able to work in NZ already (go figure!)

As far as your last point, that is exactly why we are moving, we are looking for CHANGE!!

Also from Taffys post, i didnt realize that international rates could be so affordable! :)
    all good news!

People Space is offline Senior Member

As someone who has both voip and standard phones, be aware that in an emergency (such as our lovely wee earthquake) my voip phone was down and out, but my primitive landline ran uninterrupted...
    Voip phones are also not guaranteed to work on the NZ 111 (emergency services) number.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    As far as cell phones go... so let me get this straight. If someone calls me on my cell phone minutes don't get charged to me? i only get charged for outgoing? or maybe i missed it all together?!
    Correct, you don't get charged for incoming calls within New Zealand, only outgoing. If you take your phone abroad, however, then you do get charged a connection fee for incoming calls.
    Taffy

That's pretty sweet on the cell phone thing! I am planning on taking my phone from US over there and just get it unlocked, so if i do travel back to the states, i'll just get a prepaid card or something.

Sorry for my ignorance, but is your VOIP number through your computer, or can you actually have it to a dedicated phone? also you say you have a landline and VOIP, so i guess it is smart to have both, for instances like you said (earthquake), and the like.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by thedans View Post
    Thanks for the awesome reply Cliff (and taffy too of course)

That's good to know about the USA voip number, should make it easier for family to stay in contact.

I can live with the internet usage, I will d/l the occasional movie, but nothing crazy. most will probably be used up by video chat! :) I guess it is always a shocker going from unlimited to a certain capacity.

You got it right!

And we are not quite sure where we are moving yet, it kind of depends on where i (hopefully) land a job. I am in the process of getting passports for my kids, so as soon as we get those back i am going to submit my EOI. I am at 115 points, so we will see how it goes. I have also been applying to some jobs down there, but most everyone wants you to be able to work in NZ already (go figure!)

You need to understand a lot of people talk about it and even look for jobs but many don't actually make the move.

As far as your last point, that is exactly why we are moving, we are looking for CHANGE!!

I escaped, join the party before the world comes crashing down there. The USA economy is the titanic and has hit the iceberg. Many are still saying it will not sink.

Also from Taffys post, i didnt realize that international rates could be so affordable! :)
    all good news!

I pay skype $13.99 for unlimited land line calls to 40 countries including the usa and NZ.

Where is the USA are you?
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast