Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has the quake put you off Christchurch?

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Has the quake put you off Christchurch?

I ask this because I was watching a BBC news report today where they spoke to an expat in Christchurch. At the end of the interview they asked him if he would be staying in Christchurch now and he said that he & his family are going to return to the UK - they have been in CHCH for 4 years. I wondered if any other expats had decided enough is enough and would be moving away or even returning to the UK? Also for those about to make the move has this affected your decision to settle in Chch?
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

A very valid point for discussion, Nicky, although, sadly, we don't seem to be up much for a good discussion on here these days .

I've been wondering the same things as you since this latest dreadful incident. Frequent earthquakes and aftershocks are getting to be a habit around Chch. A one-of is one thing, but this keeps happening and people are bound to be pondering on whether it's worth starting over yet again in Chch. I could well understand them saying 'Enough is enough' because who knows when the next quake will happen? And what will become of the city when it keeps being subjected to this tremendous upheaval? Is it possible to shift a whole city to another safer location? Because it's ongoing, the situation must put businesses off continuing or starting up in Chch and the city could die. It will be interesting to see the way forward after this latest clean up has been completed. I don't envy the task of those in charge who must now make difficult decisions about the city's future.

And you, knowing that you're thinking about returning to NZ in the future, would you still choose Chch or opt to start up again somewhere more stable?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

My mum said yesterday that she was glad we weren't there and that we must be glad we were back here and OH said no - he still wanted to be there. I feel the same. It was and is a lovely city and the surrounding areas. The people are lovely and we couldn't imagine settling anywhere else in NZ - quakes & all. It will be interesting to see how the quake has changed the city but with the determination and tenacity of the kiwi's I am sure it will continue to flourish. How long it will take though is another question. Will the damage and subsequent rebuilding reduce the job opportunities, increase house prices etc... only time will tell.

Blog Entries

I just hope it doesn't become a ghost town. There's only so much people will put up with and the city is about to be rebuilt for the second time within a relatively short period. So many people will have lost so much and everyone has their limit. I'll follow progress and see how they cope with the situation. The main problem now is how long will these quakes go on for until the ground beneath Chch settles down? And when will the residents finally be able to relax and get on with their lives without worrying about the earth wobbling beneath them? I guess it's not half so bad living outside the built up area so maybe more people will move out from the city but still stay close by.
    Mother Bear

Banjo.Jon is offline Finger Picking Good!!!

MB - I know you mean well, but there's so much that the media coverage doesn't show.

Nothing was rebuilt after the initial quake - they managed to repair roads, and put in temporary water and sewerage but everyone had to wait for the geo surveys to be completed, and they were only just planning to start discussing repairs and rebuilds.

And the initial quake on 4th Sept was outside of the city, the one this week was an aftershock of this initial quake, I for one will be hoping and praying that's it for our lifetime. I never want to experience that again, and would hope that no-one else has to live through this either.

As for the original question - yes, I'll be honest I did start to think about our decision to move here. The question is, what we move back to? We certainly couldn't sell our house here, and I don't want to go back to living in a tiny house, with a rediculous mortgage in the sort of area we could afford. That's before I start considering the kiwis, their amazing spirit, generosity and friendship. So no, we'll be staying put and I don't think there's any need to worry about chch becoming a ghost town as that simply won't happen.
    Landed in NZ, 13th August 2008

Web http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo.Jon View Post
    MB - I know you mean well, but there's so much that the media coverage doesn't show
    Admittedly I hadn't fully read all the reports about the previous quake nor with this last shakeup (dodgy Italian Internet connection won't allow relaxed reading time ), but I did read that many building companies from the North Island had headed down to Chch to help with the rebuilding, so I assumed it was at least under way. If housing hasn't been rebuilt, where has everyone been living meanwhile? It does seem as though the region has had more than its fair share of aftershocks since the initial quake. I have my own thoughts on how I would react regarding the uncertainty of what's in the future, but that's just me, and that would only be if I'd lost my home and belongings on either occasion.

As you say, the kiwi spirit will win through and you have each other for support.
    Mother Bear

People Space is offline Senior Member

Has it put me off living here in Chch? Not at all.
    No matter where you are there can be disasters, and biased as I am, I believe New Zealand is still one of the better places to be if a disaster occurs:

We have plenty of resources that are important (food, water etc). Right now, those and each other are what we value.

Our buildings are sturdy. Although there are many lives lost, had this happened in another city elsewhere, there would be an even bigger tragedy. Most of the commercial buildings that are modern stood up enough for people to survive. Most people live in the suburbs, and while their houses may need to be rebuilt or fixed, they stood up through the quake and did not kill their occupants.
    As an example, in comparison with the Kobe earthquake, on a per capita basis, and if most of those missing now do not survive, the proportion of loss of life in Christchurch would be about a fifth of that in Kobe.

He aha te mea nui o te ao?
    He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!
    What is the most important thing in the world?
    It is people! It is people! It is people!

Blog Entries

Well said

Blog Entries

This is what I was afraid of (just so you know I wasn't completely talking through the top of my head ) but, maybe they'll come back if this is the case and Chch will be bigger and better and flourish once again.
    Mother Bear

People Space is offline Senior Member

Some people really are in panic mode and things will settle in time. This is understandable given what people have gone through as they are tired and running on adrenaline. As always there are many who do not have the option to leave and many who do not wish to leave.

Getting back to why I'll stay, another couple of reasons are:
    I can't think of anywhere that won't have a natural disaster of any sort. Between landslides, earthquakes, tsunami, cyclones, floods and other weather "events", we just have to deal with the fact the world is not controlled by us and prepare as best we can. I would rather live where the disasters are not created by people either deliberately or ignorantly.

An immigrant friend told me that she was puzzled as to why strangers said hello to her when she was walking here, such as on the beach; I was puzzled as to why one wouldn't greet a fellow person.
    It is funny how our views are different. She has got used to this friendliness of strangers and says she could not go back.
    It is partly because we are not a densely populated country that we can greet strangers casually. We are not in overload mode, having to shut out the world.
    Partly, I think it is that we are just friendly people.(but I am biased )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast