Thread: I have a resident visa question.

Jurax04 is offline Junior Member

Talking I have a resident visa question.

Good day to all.
    I have a resident visa I've been here in NZ for a month. I am a high school graduate and I came here to go to school to take up nursing. The only problem is that I am 16 and this April 23 2011 I am turning 17(which is the required age for nursing but the school opening is in febuary 2011 and they have denied me because of my age). Now I am thinking about working here and using that money to return home where the money will last longer due to the exchange rates so that my dad would not get more stressed with supporting me I am also doing this for his benifit. How long can I still retain my Residence visa? Please help any suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you.

BTW i got the residence visa from my father who is a citizen here, and another thing is my country of origin is not UK affiliated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you had held your NZ residency long enough to be granted an Indefinite Returning Resident's Visa (usually this comes when you are in NZ with residency and have stayed there for at least 6 months in each of the first 2 years) you could have stayed out of NZ for quite a long time without losing your residency. If you only have a Returning Resident's Visa in your passport, you could only stay out of NZ up to the time before your RRV expires, which should be 2 years from activating your residency (I think). In this event, you would need to apply for another RRV and it is up to INZ to decide how long to give you. Sometimes it is only 2 weeks depending on the circumstances.

I don't know how it works if you got your residency through your father, who is a citizen. With residency it can work that the spouse/family gets the same as the principal applicant who, in this case, would be your father, but I'm not sure which RRV you would get as he is a citizen. Check in your passport and see whether you have a RRV or an IRRV. If you only need to stay out of NZ until February 2011 or even April 2011, I would think this would be OK providing you return to NZ around that time.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thank you for answering here are the details for my visa. I have a returning resident's visa and it says in the conditions that." Please apply for transfer of this visa when the passport expires. The holder may travel to Nz and on application shall be granted a residence permit. This returning resident's visa is current for two years from the date of issue of the original residence permit"

And it says here i got a residence permit 2079. hope you could help me i only plan to go to go back to the philippines for a vacation. about 3 months or 2 months long. from febuary to may or feb to april.

Blog Entries

As you have already said you have been in NZ for a month, you will have activated your residency when you entered the country. When you leave NZ to go to the Philippines, your residency will be cancelled, but you can get back in again on a new residency visa because you have a RRV in your passport.

If you are only leaving NZ for a few months, that should be OK. It's only people who leave for a few years that are in trouble and, unless they can get another RRV, they will lose their residency. You can stay out of NZ for up to 2 years because your RRV is still valid until that time, but it would affect your chances of getting an IRRV. Once you have your IRRV, you can come and go whenever you like and stay out for long periods .
    Mother Bear

one last question how long do i have to stay to get an irrv?? thanks for answering this really helped me. and also the citizenship how long do i have to stay and do i still qualify even if i leave for a while? thanks mother bear!

Blog Entries

To qualify for an IRRV you need to stay in NZ for a minimum of 6 months in each of the first 2 years. If someone has to defer this because they need to be outside NZ for a large part of the time, they will, at some point, still have to do this to qualify and this might mean they have to apply for another RRV to allow them to complete the 2 years of being in NZ for 6 months each time. This tells you about RRVs and IRRVs.

To apply for citizenship, you need to have held your residency for a minimum of 5 years. Just leaving NZ for visits to other countries won't affect your chances of getting citizenship but I wouldn't like to say how INZ would review it if you were out for a few years. They might wonder why you want to apply for citizenship if you are out of the country more than you are in .

Presence

To be eligible for a grant of New Zealand citizenship you must have New Zealand permanent residence (or be an Australian citizen or permanent resident). Permanent residence means that Immigration New Zealand has allowed you to live in New Zealand permanently. You are required to have:

1. Been present in New Zealand;

* for at least 1,350 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand during the 5 years immediately before you make your application; and
    * for at least 240 days with a Permanent Resident Permit issued by Immigration New Zealand in each of those 5 years; and

2. Fully met any conditions imposed by Immigration New Zealand in regard to your Permanent Resident Permit.

Please Note: If you can show that there are exceptional circumstances that warrant a reduction, you may be considered as long as you have a minimum presence in New Zealand of 450 days with a Permanent Resident Permit in the 20 months before you make your application.
    Mother Bear