Thread: Medical Waiver - the consequences

cregganrover is offline Junior Member

Default Medical Waiver - the consequences

Hey,

Unfortunately I have to go down the route of a medical waiver to help gain Skilled migrant Visa with my partner. She is already in NZ taking up a job offer on a temporary work visa.

I just wondering if anyone knew the consequences of not getting the waiver ...i.e. could I still get a temp visa to go over to my fiancee in NZ?

Is there an appeal process for waivers that haven't been granted?

I am being paranoid now about the waiver process..but it is understandable.

Thanks in advance.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Cregganrover.

If a medical waiver fails, you can use the Residence Review Board if you want to appeal. They deal with matters concerning residence refusals. It could be considered helpful to prepare your case well, not only regarding your medical problem, but also to build a case about how useful your job skills would be to NZ.

If you don't get a waiver, I would assume that you would not be able to stay long term in NZ, but it shouldn't stop you getting shorter term visas. Whether you would need to submit another medical would depend on how long you want to stay in NZ.

Temporary entry visa/permit applications

Temporary entry includes work, student, visitorís, working holiday, and limited purpose visa/permit applications.
    Whether you need to provide a medical certificate depends on how long you intend to stay in New Zealand. If you are already in New Zealand, this includes time you have already spent here.

If you intend to be in New Zealand for less than six months, you are not required to submit a medical certificate with
    your application.

If you intend to stay in New Zealand for more than 12 months, you must complete a Medical and Chest X-ray
    Certificate. Children under 11 years of age and pregnant women are not required to have an X-ray, unless a special
    report is needed.

If you intend to be in New Zealand for more than six months but not longer than 12 months, you may need to
    provide a Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate. Whether you need to provide this certificate depends on whether you
    are from a place that is not on the list below, or you have visited a place that is not on the list.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

cregganrover is offline Junior Member

Thanks so much for the reply Motherbear.

With the temporary visa issue, I have been getting mixed messages from the embassy. I talked to the temporary visa team face-to-face and they said I didn't have a chance of a temp visa, because my medical was in a declined state.

But my caseworker still maintains I can get one, or at least have a shot at getting one.

I think the best thing to do is ring the embassy and find out more.