Thread: WTR shattering hopes, dreams?

nzaspirant81 is offline Member

Default WTR shattering hopes, dreams?

I came across this article where they have highlighted problems of WTR, WTR is normally given if CO is not sure of applicant's ability to get skilled job in NZ assuming candidate does not already have skilled job/job offer in hand. If applicant is Asian( from non english speaking country) this always is the case, irrespective of their IELTS score, qualification, experience, age and EOI point score.

'Frivolous' migrant visas shatter hopes, dreams - National - NZ Herald News

"With a deadline to find employment, it becomes like an amazing race for jobs to these migrants, but it is mission impossible for many and it will just end in shattered dreams."
    Immigration New Zealand approved 382 applications from migrants successful in obtaining a skilled job offer, but declined 299 others who failed to find skilled work.(failure rate of almost 44%)

Last edited by nzaspirant81; 31-01-2010 at 05:49 PM.

gurumr is offline Junior Member

Default Hi

I have been through this process and got my WTR last April 09. Came here on August 09 . found job in IT in September 09 and worked till december 09. it was in IT field and even salary was more then 60k per year. since it was a contract for 3 months i completed and submitted my documents to immigration office in Auckland. Even after working in IT field with WTR i haven't heard anything from my CO.

nzaspirant81 is offline Member

Gurumr,You must have exceptional skills to get job in such bad job market.I know that
    these days most companies are preferring to hire contractors instead of permanent
    employees especially in IT.But as per policy in order to convert WTR to PR,
    candidate should be in on-going and stable skilled job. I doubt whether they
    will consider contract job to be in that category.In any case in one of your earlier
    posts you have mentioned that you have got Australian PR now,so it should not matter
    much to you now.But for other people like me it really is an eye opener,it
    just is not easy to convince NZIS even if you have fulfilled all the required conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by gurumr View Post
    I have been through this process and got my WTR last April 09. Came here on August 09 . found job in IT in September 09 and worked till december 09. it was in IT field and even salary was more then 60k per year. since it was a contract for 3 months i completed and submitted my documents to immigration office in Auckland. Even after working in IT field with WTR i haven't heard anything from my CO.
    Last edited by nzaspirant81; 01-02-2010 at 08:39 PM.