Thread: How long before full residence?

spid54 is offline Junior Member

Default How long before full residence?

Hi everyone. I have just looked at the INZ web site and it says that my residence is approved, but with no expiry date. So after my heart stopped fluttering I went to look at the Skilled Migrant category, under which I applied for residence. This is part of what it says about what happens next...

"If you got points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job until three months is up."

I have been in my skilled employment for 5 months now, and claimed points for that skilled employment.
    Does this mean that I will have full residence right away and not have to work a further 3 months in this job?
    Until now I was under the impression that no matter how long I had worked in the job, I would still have to work a further 3 months in that job (after initial approval) before the stamp gets put into my passport and I have full residence.

What do you think?
    Thanks a lot.

Oh yes - Happy Birthday Auckand!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

A residence visa

If you were issued a residence visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.

* If you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    * If you got points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job until three months is up.

From here.

This seems to be saying that if you are already working in NZ but have only worked for less than the required 3 months, you need to keep working at that job until you have completed the full 3 months. Therefore, if you have already worked more than 3 months, you should be OK.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MB.
    Yes that's the way I interpret it as well, but other people have told me that the 3 months begins at the granting of the residence. We shall see what happens next.
    I'll let you know if it goes other than the way we think.
    Thanks for your opiion.

Well it seems that we were right, and all that it left is for the permit to be put into the passport.
    That leads me to another question.
    The immigration consultant that we are using tells me that since Sue and I applied as a (de facto) couple, then INZ want to put the permits in at the same time. So they want both of our passports together.
    Sue is in South Africa at the moment so I can't get her passport.
    I asked the consultant if INZ could do mine first, and then do Susan's a couple of months later when she returns from SA.
    The consultant said no. They must be done both togehter otherwise INZ will take Sue off the application, and she will have to re-apply later.

Do you think that is correct? Is there any way that they can put the permit into my passport, and then do Susan's when she returns from SA when she returns in March?

Thanks again for your help.