Thread: Approved in Principle - Skilled Immigrant Category (my case timeline)

miamikk is offline Junior Member

Default Approved in Principle - Skilled Immigrant Category (my case timeline)

I was approved in Principle for Residency 2 days back in skilled immigrant category. I wanted to post my application progress and time line to give an idea to other members who might be in similar situation.

I am from India. Got a Masters in Computer Eng from USA and have been working Full time in USA since then (5.5 years when I applied for EOI). I applied without job offer. My application was processed in London Branch.

• Feb 2nd week 2009: I submitted my Expression of Interest. I claimed 145 points.
    • Feb 25, 2009: My EOI for selected from the pool.( it was selected for being 140 or above).
    • March 18, 2009: I got an email requesting documents to verify my Masters education and also work experience showing how many hours I work per week on average. I emailed them scanned copies and the very next day they said I am eligible for "Invitation to Apply" after assessing my credentials.
    • April 1st week, 2009: I received the ITA package and returned the completed package probably at the end of May or early June. I claimed English language proficiency without IELTS but I ended up taking the exam to avoid any unnecessary delay in the process and mailed the test score in July 1st week to add to my application. I was still waiting for allocation of visa officer.
    • Sept 22, 2009: I was assigned a Visa officer who after first assessment required additional documentation. They again requested Work experience proof, USA Visa proof and re doing of blood work as my Cholesterol was quite high. They said the final step will be settlement interview in person.
    • Oct 7, 2009: I mailed all the documents they have requested.
    • Oct 16, 2009: Visa officer contacted me that they need to send my blood test results to medical assessor for further review since they still remain elevated.
    • Nov 13, 2009: Visa officer contacted to informed my medical has been given the all clear and would contact me soon to arrange a time/date/place for settlement and contribution interview.
    • Dec 14, 2009: I contacted the Visa officer to get an update. I got a reply they were still awaiting confirmation of available interview times in USA.
    • Jan 13, 2010: I contact them again to get an update as I did not hear from them.
    • Jan 22, 2010: My visa officer replied that he will do a phone interview.
    • Jan 25, 2010: My phone interview was scheduled for the next day (Jan 26, 2009).
    • Jan 26, 2010: I had the interview which lasted for about 20 min. The officer was really nice and most of the questions he asked were from the "Interview Questions" thread floating around in this forum. I was well prepared. It was not that tough since most of info he requested is test my knowledge and how well I was prepared. I have already spent 10 years in a foreign country, so moving to NZ is like Deja vu.
    • Jan 27, 2010: I got an email from Visa officer that I am "Approved in Principle" pending the payment of migrant levy fee.

Update
    Mid March 2010: Mailed my newly renewed passport to London office for Residence Visa stamping and they were stamped and returned to me in the 1st week of April 2010.

Next 11 Months: Spent 6-7 months on a 20,000 mile road trip pretty much covering most of US visiting friends, major cities and National Parks. Then 3 months in India.

March 22, 2011: Arrived in Auckland and currently at a Hotel looking for accommodation. Will spend next 4-5 weeks preparing for some IT certifications before I start job search.

I plan to send my passport and migrant levy fee at the end of Feb and I will move to NZ in April or May. I still have not decided where I will be going. I noticed most of IT jobs are concentrated in Auckland or Wellington, so most likely I will be going to one of those place. I will start my job hunting from March.

I have used both movetonz.org and emigratenz.org forums for reference and I don't think I would have came this far without the help of all the people who have posted their questions and all those people who have posted answers. There is just so much information here that I never really had to post any question till I got AIP.

If anyone has any questions for me regarding my case, I will try answer. Good look for all whose applications are still in process.
    Last edited by miamikk; 25-03-2011 at 04:15 AM. Reason: update

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Thanks very much for taking the trouble to post that Miamikk. I'm sure it will prove very useful to others.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

NZAspirant is offline Junior Member

Congratulations on your approval. I just want to know if you have submitted your passports. Did you get any letter from INZ asking you to submit your passport and your migrant levy fee. Am in a similar situation, waiting for passport request.

Thanks.

The email I received on Jan 27, 2010 had the AIP letter that requested me to send the migrany levy fee and passports to London branch for stamping. I am in the process of renewing my passport, so I will mail once I get my new passports.

Quote Originally Posted by NZAspirant View Post
    Congratulations on your approval. I just want to know if you have submitted your passports. Did you get any letter from INZ asking you to submit your passport and your migrant levy fee. Am in a similar situation, waiting for passport request.

Thanks.

Default Final update of my case time line

Update
    Mid March 2010: Mailed my newly renewed passport to London office for Residence Visa stamping and they were stamped and returned to me in the 1st week of April 2010.

Next 11 Months: Spent 6-7 months on a 20,000 mile road trip pretty much covering most of US visiting friends, major cities and National Parks. Then 3 months in India.

March 22, 2011: Arrived in Auckland and currently at a Hotel looking for accommodation. Will spend next 4-5 weeks preparing for some IT certifications before I start job search.

Ahmad is offline Junior Member

Default IT jobs

Hi
    Congratulations on your approval.

Please I want to ask you about IT Job in NZ

I'm an IT network Engineer , can I get a job easily in NZ ?
    What are the most IT jobs demanded in NZ ?

Thanks

There are jobs but I noticed most are for mid to senior level (4-7 years experience). I don't have a clue about Network Engg, but the best place to start is seek.co.nz. It should give you a good idea on what are available and what they are looking for.

Good luck.