Thread: Too fat to go?

francis1962 is offline Member

Default Too fat to go?

Hi Guys

To those who have been through it

Only medicals to go but can you be rejected for being overweight?

No other medical issues & working on weight

Justing trying to weigh up ( sorry for the bad pun ) when to arrange medicals

Francis

OK 5'9'' 15st 10lbs but actually quite fit and active

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

In the first instance, if you have over the recommended waistline measurement, you would just be asked to take extra tests to check out whether your weight is affecting your health in any way. Being overweight isn't necessarily a ban from getting PR, it means INZ making extra sure you won't 'be a burden on their health service'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Extra tests?

Hi Mother Bear

By extra tests are these done at that medical or does it involve delays

It's all a matter of how to time medicals to submit before 4 month deadline

I had a look on the handbook for medical practitioners preforming NZ medicals and it seemed to indicate that people with a BMI of 35+ could be rejected on this basis

Regards

Francis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You would need to fast before these additional blood tests (lipids, liver funtion, glucose etc.) so that usually requires another appointment. If you want to try to cut this down, it might be an idea to fast before the appointment for your medical (if that is practical) and ask if the other tests could be done at the same time or maybe get your own GP to check out your blood beforehand and take the results along to the medical and see what they say.

If the worst happens, which I doubt, and you are declined, there is always the medical waiver option where you can appeal against this decision. Try not to worry too much as there are many people who have been in the same position and have come through it on the right side. As long as you are otherwise fit and healthy, I'm sure you'll be OK. Slim people are just as likely to be declined because of some unforeseen problem, so they don't always have an advantage over those who are more cuddly. It's just that slim people don't automatically have to do these extra tests unless something shows up on their routine blood test results.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

On a positive note, because the health check is so thorough, a friend of mine had her life effectively prolonged by it. She has a serious medical condition that ordinary health checks would miss. It was discovered, and quickly treated. She is now a resident.

Default Mot

Cheers Guys

I'll not worry about it

Look upon it as an MOT

Regards

Francis