Thread: Temporary work permit, still waiting for PR : do we still need to work 3 months here

swissgodairy is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Temporary work permit, still waiting for PR : do we still need to work 3 months here

Hi

Our PR (skilled migrants, EOI with job offer) has been delayed because of NZQA and we couln't get it before our departure. We also entered NZ with a temporary WP for 364 days and could start in our position 1st April 09. This means that we have been working for more than 5 months now - but the job is not up to our expectations and we would like to go and work somewhere else.

Does anybody know if we will still be supposed to work here for 3 months when we get our PR, or if these 5 months already worked under WP will be enough ?

As well, can we change jobs without compromising our PR ? (or delaying it even more ?)

Thanks a lot for your inputs. It is very hard to wait !

It has been very busy since our arrival in NZ and it is the first time I really find the time to come back on the forum. I promise I'll try to come back soon with some tips about our moving and immigration processes... at least after calving season is finished !

Cheers

Del

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swissgodairy View Post
    As well, can we change jobs without compromising our PR ? (or delaying it even more ?)
    Changing jobs shouldn't compromise your PR application but you do need to inform INZ if you get another job offer.

I'm no longer working for the same employer as when I was granted my permit. Does this affect my Work Permit?

If you’re here under a working holiday scheme, changing employers does not affect your Work Permit.

For all other workers, if your employer is named on your Work Permit, then you need to inform us that you’ve changed employer. You will need to apply for another Work Permit and must apply for a new permit when you have a job offer. You should not start work in your new job until you have a new Work Permit.

If you gained your permit because you secured a job with an accredited New Zealand employer, you’ll only be able to remain in New Zealand if you’re working for another accredited employer. Even if you find work with another accredited employer, we’ll still need to approve the arrangement.

The usual process for changing employers is to apply for a Variation of Conditions of your work permit.

W2.25.1 Varying the conditions of temporary permits

1. Holders of temporary permits should apply for a variation of the conditions of their permit if:
    1. they wish to work and do not have a permit that allows work in New Zealand; or
    2. they hold a work permit limited by conditions and wish to change employers or the place of employment; or
    3. it is inappropriate for some other reason to apply for a work permit.
    2. Immigration officers may issue a variation of conditions in such cases provided that the applicant completes an Application for Variation of Conditions and produces:
    1. the appropriate fee; and
    2. a valid passport or travel document; and
    3. any other documents or information requested by the immigration officer or specified in (d) below.

From here.

I wouldn't like to guess about having to work another 3 months after you get PR, but it might be a necessity as you are presumably claiming points for a job offer in your PR application and INZ may need to see you comply with the 3-month rule. The work permit and PR are 2 separate processes so what you have done in the one permit might not transfer into the other one. It would be a good idea to check this out with INZ to see what they say unless someone can help out with answering this query.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Motherbear and thank you for your answer.

Has anybody else already been in this situation, having already worked for 3 months or more for the specified employer before receiving the PR ?

As the PR is not issued yet, would it be better to find another job quickly and advise INZ before the PR is issued, or just wait for the PR... ?

Cheers

steinbock is offline Member

Hi

If I were you, I would wait for PR in the current job.

You cannot be sure that NZIS will issue you another work permit. There are certain (sad) stories in the news that NZIS (and even here on the forum) has declined work permit with explanation that there are plenty of Kiwis who can do particular job.

I know how it feels to struggle in the workplace, believe me, but I guess patience is essential when doing business with NZ bureaucracy. You should still have some time left on your current WP?

All the best!

P.S. Would like to hear some first hand advice and even eventual comparison Switzerland/New Zealand would be very appreciated.

Hi Steinbock

Thanks for the advice. I'm more than happy to discuss about NZ/Switzerland. What wouzld you like to know ? Maybe we should start another thread.

Grüssli

steinbock is offline Member

We can start new topic - you can reply in new one and copy there my post if you like or eventually admin will split this.

What drove you essentially to NZ? I can hardly think of more beautiful country than Switzerland is (I agree NZ is more than comparable ), ok there is no sea but mountains are magnificent. You can also hardly find a country anywhere with higher standard of living. Is it the people, the way of life, personal circumstances that drove you out? I would say you are also satisfied with NZ (not with the current job, tough) otherwise you would be probably heading back. To be honest, sometimes I was also considering moving there. But my German is far from perfect (and I hardly speak some Italian and no French) so I guess this would not be a good idea.

dhol is offline Junior Member

Exclamation Need to switch employer under work visa

Hello,

I am going through same problem, I need to change employer( under 2 years work visa)
    its expiring in Dec 2010

if I quit current job and start looking for another job (in same field) would I be consider as Illegal, as am not working with employer mentioned in permit? or I can stay in NZ until dec 2010?

I wanted to apply for P.R from a new employer(if I found one b4 Dec 2010), I applied for PR before(my self) with current employer but it was declined!! (reason job not upto standards with my studies)

its been more than 2 years working with current employer, reason to leave: nothing new to learn, its getting boring!

Lawyer advice: apply PR again from current job and he is confident

your help/advice would be much appreciated, I will also consult a Immigration adviser.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you want to change employers, you would need to read this which tells you what you need to do. You can't work for a new employer on the same work permit as the current one if that company's name is on the permit.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.