Thread: EOI accepted. Should I continue?

hyperinflation is offline Junior Member

Default EOI accepted. Should I continue?

I received the letter this week that my EOI was accepted and they are assigning a case worker. I was a little surprised it only took 3 weeks. I was expecting a somewhat longer delay. I don't even have a job there.

My question now, is should I continue with this? By this I mean, I have a long term goal to move to New Zealand. I am 39 and wanted to do this before I turned 40, but unfortunately I still have a contract I have to finish, which will take well into next year. How long can I stall?

My questions are:

How long do you have once the case worker is assigned before you have to submit your complete documentation?

Once the documentation is submitted, how long do they usually take to approve your visa?

Visa in hand, how long do you then have to complete the move to New Zealand?

Assuming I'm willing to pay New Zealand income taxes, could I effectively move to New Zealand but still reside overseas while finishing my current contract?

Don't misunderstand me. I believe New Zealand's combination of pleasant climate, stable government, and abundant natural resources make it one of the few countries in the world where I wish to settle down. I am very excited to be able to apply for this opportunity. But they were supposed to move with the ordinary sluggishness of governments around the world. How patient will they be waiting for me?

Any advice appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum, Hyperinflation.

You have been selected from the pool quite quickly but it may still take a while for you to receive your ITA pack after which you have up to 4 months to collect all your documentation together and submit it. Then there will be time after that before you will be granted PR, which will depend on how busy the branch you are dealing with is, whether your paperwork is in order and there are no health issues after the medical. When PR is granted you will need to pay the Migrant Levy and you could drag this out a little. Once you have PR, you have up to 12 months to get to NZ to activate your PR, so there is time yet to reach your 40th birthday .

If this still isn't enough time, you could always go to NZ to activate your PR and then return to your own country for up to 2 years, but that would mean you wouldn't qualify for your Indefinite Returning Residents Visa as you need to stay in NZ for 6 months in each of the first 2 years for that. INZ would like to see some level of commitment from you, so, although that can be done, they might not look so favourably on you when it comes to apply for a further Returning Resident's Visa.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hyperinflation is offline Junior Member

Thanks MB,

Well, receiving the ITA didn't take long. I have a case worker assigned and an expiration date of Nov. 23 to get everything submitted. I must say I am extremely impressed with the efficiency of the New Zealand immigration system Unfortunately, as I said, I was banking on a little more government bureaucracy when I started this process. If the application process goes as efficiently as the EOI process I could find myself in a quandary. I'd really rather the avoid the problem of having to move to NZ and then come back and all the visa problems that could create later.

Has anyone else ever been in this position? Is there anything I can tell the case worker to try and convince him that an extension is in order? They do say on the ITA that if I don't feel like I can make the deadline that I should discuss this with my case worker. What are valid reasons for not being able to make the deadline? I don't want to blow my chances or appear uninterested, but at the same time I'd like to drag the procedure out a little bit.

I keep hearing people talk in terms of months, but every experience I have had with NZ immigration so far seems like their time schedules are in days. I'm just not used to that.

Do I explain this to my case worker, or will that hurt my chances?

Any advice appreciated.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hyperinflation View Post
    I must say I am extremely impressed with the efficiency of the New Zealand immigration system
    Wow, we don't hear that very often on here.

How long roughly do you need before you can go to NZ? You hinted above that you would like to go later on next year. It does seem like INZ are pulling out the stops to get you there, or maybe they are just a bit quieter at the moment with people dithering about applying because of the shortage of jobs. Typical that someone who isn't in a rush to get there gets pushed through the system, yet others who are desperate to get there have to wait so long they are on the verge of giving up.

As I said above, after the process is finished and you have been granted PR, you still have up to 12 months before you have to get there to validate your residency. Just take your time filling in your ITA and gathering your documents (you have 4 months to do this) and this alone will take you to the last quarter of the year. You have a certain amount of time before you have to pay your Migrant Levy (that might be 4 months as well) so, with a 12-month delay before having to validate your PR that should see you to the end of next year.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.