Thread: What do you think?

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Default What do you think?

I got my ITA in the mail today and I am very happy. I already have the medical exam scheduled for Monday, and I have a new police report which I recently received from my family in the US. I am applying for PR as a skilled migrant. To that end, I have claimed I have 32 years of work experience as a nurse.

Here is my problem: The first years I worked as a nurse (approx 1976 to 1990) I worked at the hospital where I trained. I can get some sort of letter stating the dates that I worked there as a nurse. The hospital is still there, thank heavens!

After than, I got into home care. The agencies I worked for have all disappeared! One was sold to a larger company which has since been sold so many times and absorbed into other organizations, so I'm sure the records don't even exist anymore. The next place was bought by a larger corporation and our office was closed as a result. The company that bought it out went belly-up a few years later. The next company I worked for closed it's doors a year after I left. I may possibly be able to track down some history there, but doubtful. So, I have a gap from about 1990 to 1998 that I cannot get any proof that I worked as a nurse! (I have no records or pay stubs from those years.)

Of course, my last job, from 1998 to 2008 is no problem.
    So, I have 24 years I can prove that I worked as a nurse with some sort of documentation. What do you all think - will it make much of a difference, given my overall number of years worked as a nurse, that I can't document that 8 years?
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I would say to list all your experience and say that you no longer have any records for the older jobs. If you can provide evidence of more recent jobs, that should surely prove your abilities and should suffice. After all, how many people can go back that far and still have documentation? The amount of experience you can show evidence of should back up what you say about the other 8 missing years.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Lonely is offline Junior Member

Default Work History

I am pretty sure when we applied they required the last ten years so I am sure you will have no problems with your record you should be proud of that

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I'm happy to say that I contacted the hospital I worked for 30+ years ago, and they were, at one point (for about 10 years) part of a parent organization I worked for for about 30 of the 32 years I've worked as a nurse, so they have the records of my employment, as well as the home care agency I worked for that went under. So, I can account for just about all the years I worked as a nurse, "officially". My sister has already received a letter from the on letterhead, and has forwarded it on to me, so I'm getting there!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

letsgotonz is offline Junior Member

What i think is it should not matter if you cant prove all the 32 years of work experience as the number of bonus points you are going to get by showing 24 years or 32 years is the same.