Thread: to ita or not to ita?

migp4ad is offline Junior Member

Default to ita or not to ita?

i have recieved my ita under the skilled migrant category and have a few questions that i hope someone will be able to help me with.

i was initially employed as a contractor and was working for a large auckland based company in a skilled position. at about the same time that i recieved my ita, i was informed that my contract would be expiring as the company was undergoing a restructuring process.

4 months have since passed without me able to find another job - (i have asked nzis for an extension on our submission date which they kindly granted without any hassles.)

i intially claimed 125 points, but was granted 105 as nzis didnt regards my partners job as skilled. my question essentially is whether it is still worth my while to lodge my application considering i am presently unemployed? without the points i previously claimed for skilled employment, i will be way under the 100 mark - i have no room for error/lost points as i just scraped in to begin with!

the thing is having viewed the nzis policy manual, there does seem to be room on their part to exercise some discretion when making decisions.

any thoughts or comments on what you think i should do???

fastidea1 is offline Member

Wink you should apply for ITA,

Hello Friend

Sorry to hear about your job scenario.

My opinion is that you should apply for ITA, You have worked for the company for more than three months since you made your EOI. INZ wanna see whether you are capable of adjusting yourself in the job market or not and you have already proved that.

However Mother Bear's comment are suggested in your scenario.

Gud luck

fastidea1 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by fastidea1 View Post
    Hello Friend

Sorry to hear about your job scenario.

My opinion is that you should apply for ITA, You have worked for the company for more than three months since you made your EOI. INZ wanna see whether you are capable of adjusting yourself in the job market or not and you have already proved that.

However Mother Bear's comment are suggested in your scenario.

Gud luck
    When you try , you risk failure when you don't, you ensure it.
    believe in Karma ... fruits would follow

thanks for the support fastidea1.

i was under the impression that the 3 months period scenario you refered to applies when wtr is granted as opposed to pr? anyway, i do hope you are correct!

it is not so much about risking failure, as we can always apply again further down the track if not successful. it is more a case of finances. as i have not worked for 4 months, i have had to resort to selling my prized music collection on trade me to keep my head above water! i just cannot afford to spend $2000 on a "hope and a prayer" given my current circumstances.

on the other hand, we have come so far and who knows what may chnage in time to come... so confused my head hurts!

i think perhaps the best thing for me to do right now is see an immigration consultant? not to do our ita, but just to provide a professional opinion on whether it would be worthwhile proceeding with our application given my specfic set of circumstances.

can anyone out there recommend a reputable & trustworhty agent/consultant??

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It seems that everything hinges on whether you can get another job. When you are completing your ITA you will need to supply information about the job you were initially claiming points for. As this no longer exists and your points will drop below the qualifying mark, this could cause a problem.

Taking on an agent or consultant will be very expensive which probably is not ideal at the moment when you have no income coming in. We have an on-board consultancy linked to this forum who can also help with finding a job. They aren't really a true immigration consultancy, but you could always contact them to see if they can offer any advice, particularly with regard to looking for another job. Have you thought of looking further afield for work? Perhaps you will have more luck somewhere else in NZ.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    We have an on-board consultancy linked to this forum who can also help with finding a job. They aren't really a true immigration consultancy, but you could always contact them to see if they can offer any advice.
    Yes they are, they are licensed immigration advisors and agents!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks for the info - I will contact them and hopefully they can advise me further.

Not to worry, I have no intention of getting a consultant to handle my affairs for me - I just need a professional opinion regarding my prospects at present.

The one thing that I am confused by is how NZIS approach the issue of contracting. When I lodged my EOI my contract clearly stated its end date - which was very much concurrent with the time they gave me the ITA.

My thinking is that surely as they knew I was on the verge of being out of contract, there must have been other motivating factors that prompted them to grant the ITA? Perhaps those very motivating factors would be enough?

Thats just it though - I cant afford to speculate, assume or jump to my own conclusions!

I wonder how informative NZIS would be if I was to pose the same questions to them?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy View Post
    Yes they are, they are licensed immigration advisors and agents!
    I was basing my statement on this.

We came across one company who, it has to be said, impressed us. They are not immigration consultants, more of a migration services provider. They can not only process your visa, but also find you a job and look after you when you get to NZ with their settlement services. Their portfolio of employers is very impressive, and their initiative is backed by several NZ Government bodies. MoveToNZ holds genuine testimonials on record for this company.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Ah, that should be "They are not JUST immigration consultants"
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.