Thread: Work to residence and ITA timelines?

zookeeper is offline Junior Member

Default Work to residence and ITA timelines?

Hello, all forum members, me and my partner have been in Christchurch for 6 months now,i m on Work to Residence visa and has lodged my EOI at the Christchurch branch.I've got couple of questions

a) I've heard that work to resident holders are not easily invited to apply for residency even if they have enough points.Is this true that I'll have to wait for 2 years and then I'll b invited to residency.Has any forum member attained residency from work to residence visa.

b)What are the timelines at Christchurch branch(real information not from the NZIS website) for receiving an ITA pack.

Many thanks in advance
    zookeeper

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    a) I've heard that work to resident holders are not easily invited to apply for residency even if they have enough points.Is this true that I'll have to wait for 2 years and then I'll b invited to residency.Has any forum member attained residency from work to residence visa.
    Welcome to the forum Zookeeper.

If you are on a WTR permit, the standard time before you can apply for residency is 2 years, which should give you sufficient time to scrape enough points together through NZ work experience etc. However, I believe you can apply beforehand if you find you have stumbled upon some extra points. I would have thought, if you had gone through the obligatory 2 years and then were looking to get your residency, INZ would grant it as you have done your part. I haven't heard there is a particular problem with this although perhaps someone else has?

I think the timings for any branch to process applications varies quite a bit depending on demand at the time. INZ web page for Chch is quoting 2-8 weeks, maybe longer, and then says your ITA will be issued after contact from your CO. Sounds like it will be difficult to pin down any accurate time but, once you've been contacted by your CO, you should know your ITA will be on its way soon. Perhaps someone has on-the-spot info?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.