Thread: What happens after ITA has been lodged?

charming is offline Member

Default What happens after ITA has been lodged?

I have lodged my ITA as of November 2007. Would anyone know if when the ITA is approved, would I need to lodge a residence application as well and would that need further processing? Or is the ITA and the residence application one and the same thing?

charming

hla_82 is offline Junior Member

Please be advised following information has been taken from Immigration New Zealand website. I guess this is quite comprehensive and does also answer your questions.

Application assessment

Once your application has been received, our officers will assess your claims and suitability for residence.

This process will be quickest if you have a skilled job or job offer, or if you have already studied in New Zealand. This study must have either been postgraduate or in an area of skill shortage or future growth.

Otherwise, we may need to interview you. Family members included in your application do not need to be interviewed, but are welcome to take part. We will ask you about your familiarity with New Zealand, your employment prospects, and any existing support networks you have here.

Once this has been done, we may approve your application. Alternatively, we may offer you a work to residence visa or permit, to give you the chance to come to New Zealand to obtain a skilled job offer. We may also decline your application.

A residence visa

If you were issued a residence visa, you must still meet some requirements to ensure you remain a New Zealand resident.

* If you claimed points for an offer of skilled employment, you must take that job up within three months of being granted your permit. You must also stay in that job for at least three months and provide us with evidence that you have met these requirements within seven months of being granted your first residence permit.
    * If you got points for already having a skilled job that you have held for less than three months, you must stay in the job until three months is up.

Additionally, before we place a residence visa or permit in your passport you must pay the migrant levy, and meet any required ESOL agreement, along with any fee this incurs.

A work to residence visa or permit

If you have been offered a work to residence visa or permit instead of a residence visa or permit, there are certain things you have to do.

* Within three months of the offer, you must return your application form for the work to residence visa or permit.
    * During the visa or permit application, you must show us that you are able to support yourself and your family for at least the first three months in New Zealand. This means NZ$1000 per person for each month, or NZ$400 per person each month if your accommodation has been paid for.
    * You will also have to show that you have the money available to purchase tickets to your home country for you and your family should you have to leave New Zealand.

If you are out of New Zealand, you will get a work to residence visa which will allow you to travel to New Zealand within three months. On arrival, or if you are already in New Zealand, you will be granted a nine-month work permit.

Here is a simple diagram for the application process.

References
    The application process
    Application process diagram
    I'm accepted
    Last edited by hla_82; 26-03-2009 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks hla_82 for your response. I guess this means that when you put in your ITA your are in effect 'applying for residence'.

charming

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

That's strange, I posted an answer to this last night but it's disappeared. Spooky!

Submitting an ITA is another step in the PR application after the EOI. Once you have sent in the ITA your application for PR will either be granted or declined. You shouldn't need to do anything else (except to hand more money over ) unless some further information is required.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hey thanks Mother Bear. So we're just keeping our fingers crossed that our ITA is approved sometime soon as NZIS, New Delhi has said that they will look at applications only in the month of April, though the ITA was mailed to them from the Singapore branch in December last year.

charming

Srivatsa is offline Junior Member

I guess New Delhi office has the longest processing time. Their current processing time for Skilled Migrant Visa is 1 year for allocation to Visa officer & 6-9 months for processing!!!
    Processing timeframes

Yes I know New Delhi has increased their processing time frames. My ITA however was in New Delhi since November 2007 and then transferred to Singapore branch in April 2008 as New Delhi did not have enough staff to work on it. I'm not sure at what stage the processing is at now, as a few preliminary checks have been done by the Singapore branch on the documents we submitted for the ITA. Ironically, the Singapore branch in turn transferred the papers back to New Delhi to say that they had shortage of staff and we were informed that New Delhi would start processing only in April. My case is not new, so we are hoping that it is approved soon.

Srivatsa is offline Junior Member

Your case is already over a year now!!! Good luck. Not sure how long I need to wait... I submitted in Feb this year.