Thread: One more step

Marc is offline Junior Member

Default One more step

Well, Monday I sent in my application, and today it has been received. .9 kg of paperwork (is that right, or would someone say 900g? Being an American I have no idea of the practical use of SI units, though I know what they are).

So now begins the waiting game. From some of what I've heard, it should be about a month until someone gets assigned my case, and another three after that to hear an answer, but sometimes it runs longer and rarely shorter (excepting cases of job offers). What should I expect in the form of communication? Should I get notified when it is assigned? And if they don't need anything else to evaluate it, I should have one phone interview as the only other real contact before an answer? I included my passports and the migrant fees so that if I am accepted, they can send them back with the visas included.

Do they generally ask to speak with anyone else incuded in the application for the interview portion?

And, if everything is in order and in accordance with the accepted EOI, is it essentially automatic? The best time to sell a house here is in the spring. I will have to sell my house before I hear back, or I'll probably have to drop the price $10,000 or more to get it sold. So I have to do a little risk analysis to figure it out. I would like to sell the house before moving because it will provide some of the living money until I can get a job.

Thanks,
    Marc

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Did you apply online Marc? If so you should, in time, see something come up at the top of your file to say if you've been selected. Depending how many points you've applied with, this could take some time. A month might be rather optimistic, but you never know. If you have elected to be contacted via email, I would imagine most of the communication between you and INZ will come through there. After submitting your EOI it could be that the next thing you will receive is your ITA package if you have been selected. The interview stage comes much later after a lot of checking up on facts and you have got your medical done and police certificate in hand.

The migrant levy is usually paid after you have been granted residency and not before, so I wouldn't like to say what INZ will do with the money. If your EOI is selected, it doesn't mean that you will automatically get residency. There are a few other hurdles to overcome before you get to that stage. They don't like to make it too easy .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Marc is offline Junior Member

My EOI was in October, and I was accepted at a 110 point level. I received my ITA in November. I got my application back a few days before the deadline. We have completely clean medicals, no arrests, and the only paperwork I didn't have that matched what they asked for was that the oldest jobs on my list could not confirm prior employment, so I sent in other records to establish employment, and our child's birth certificate didn't list the biological father because he didn't wish to be listed and no one can put his name on that document except for himself and he doesn't want to. We included the results of a paternity test and court order of paternity in place of the name on the birth certificate (in addition to the neccessary release on his part for the child to relocate).

So Mother Bear, this is the full application, not the EOI. I've included everything requested (even if not the exact manner in which they request it) and have no medical issues, no legal issues, and no other issues I could identify.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    So Mother Bear, this is the full application, not the EOI.
    Oh right. Apologies. When you said you'd sent in your application, I thought it was the EOI as most people refer to the ITA by name because they are used to the terminology by that stage.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

GettingReady is offline Junior Member

Hi Marc. It appears as though we are in the same boat. My husband and I sent our ITA on Friday, 06 March and they received it Monday, 09 March, so we are also playing the waiting game.

I've been doing a lot of reading, mostly on this site as well as the NZ immigration site. Basically the timeframe for waiting is anywhere between 2 and 7 months. It could obviously take longer if they foresee any complications in your application or feel you haven't provided what they asked you for. Generally, It will take 1 to 4 months for a case officer to be assigned to your case. Especially since you don't have a job offer (neither do we). You will be contacted by your case officer once he/she has been assigned. I am not sure whether they contact you via email, post or telephone, as I am still to find out... They will then organize your telephonic interview. Yes, they may request to speak to the members of your family included in your EOI/ITA, so just let them know. They may also request that you go to them for a face-to-face interview (which I don't think is that likely), or from what I've read (I'm from South Africa) they are coming here in March/April, so they may tell us to go to them?? What I've read on here, is that it's mostly an informal and very friendly interview and they just plan on asking how you intend on finding a job and settling in NZ successfully and so on.

Then your case officer can take 1 to 3 months to make his/her decision on your ITA. Thus taking a maximum of 7 months (hopefully).

Hopefully that will help in your decision to sell your house, but nothing is a sure thing, so I'd rather wait for immigration to contact you before you make any concrete and rash decisions. You wouldn't want to end up being homeless.

Hope that helps:)