Thread: Evidence for English Proficiency

trimprover is offline Member

Default Evidence for English Proficiency

I'm a US citizen applying for PR in the Skilled Migrant Category. I've lived in other countries before, but never for more than 12 months.

My application form says:
    You must provide evidence that you meet the English language requirements as described in the Guide to Applying for Residence under the Skilled Migrant Category.
    What evidence do I need to submit to prove that I'm proficient at English?

Would college and post-grad transcripts (at an American University) be sufficient? I'm guessing that I need to include those anyways, as evidence for qualifications.

Or should I ignore the request to provide evidence, on the basis that I have not lived out of the US for more than 12 months in any one country?

I am worried that if I ignore the request for evidence, I will get penalized!

Thanks a ton,

T

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I wrote something (in notes at end of application?) that I was corn, raised and educated in the US with English as my first language. Whatever educational info that I had to supply anyway may have helped support that claim. I didn't have any challenges.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Thanks!

My partner is from europe, but has lived in the US for over a decade. She also got her bachelor's in the US. She speaks fluent English, although it's her second language.

What evidence of English Proficiency does she need to submit?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If you've been brought up to speak English and/or have been educated in English and can prove this, you shouldn't have a problem. That is sufficient in itself . You can read up about it on here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

htcesq2 is offline Member

We are (currently) from the USA, too. English is the second language for both my wife and myself, but we both went to graduate school here, and we've been working for more years than I can remember. Our ITA instructions expressly exempted us from demonstrating proficiency in English. IMHO, it can't hurt to send an email to NZIS and reiterate your background so that if its an oversight, they can correct it and exempt you.

Btw, what part of USA are you from? We live in Jersey City, NJ, and my work is in NYC.

Should I write something on the English Proficiency page to indicate:

1) I've been living in the US most of my life, and have been educated and employed only by English-speaking institutions.

2) My partner has been living the in US for more than 10 years, and during that time has been educated and employed only in English-speaking institutions.

3) Evidence of our education and employment in the US is included elsewhere in the application to apply (e.g., in our qualification and work experience sections)

?

Or should I just leave that page blank?

I called NZ immigration yesterday and was told that since both my partner and I have received bachelor's degrees or better in an English-speaking country (the US), merely showing our diplomas should be sufficient evidence of English proficiency.

We were also told we might want to write something in a cover letter emphasizing that although English isn't my partner' first language, all of her work experience and education within the past 10+ years has been in the US, for English-speaking institutions.