Thread: Reference letter question

totallynew is offline Junior Member

Default Reference letter question

Hi all,
    Do work reference letters need to be printed on official company letterhead? One of my employers has sent me only a PDF file and asked me to print it myself. There's a company logo on it though. Is this enough, or do I need his signature and stamp?
    Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You mean references for a job application?

It's helpful that the logo is on there, but it feels a bit lightweight without a signature, at least, on there. Anyone could print such a letter from their PC these days so I wouldn't like to say whether it would be regarded as valid without something more to back it up. Is there a company address or phone number on there so they could be contacted for verification, if necessary?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

htcesq2 is offline Member

And if its for the ITA, you'll need to submit either the original or a certified copy thereof. A notary public won't certify the copy without seeing the original.

totallynew is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the answers. This is a company reference (proof of employment) that's needed by NZQA and ITA. I will ask for the signature, hopefully it won't be a problem.

Here's another question:
    I worked for another company that went bankrupt (company A). All I have from this company are just the appointment letter (contract) and tax form that has the company name. The contract only mentions my position, and does not specify my work duties. Do you think these two documents are enough?

To make things a bit more interesting, my boss from company A set up another company (company B) a few years later, and rehired me. This is where I am working at now.

Do you think it is a better idea to have my boss write a reference letter for my work at company A, using company B's letterhead?

I apologize for the long post. I hope anyone can share their experiences. Thanks again for the help.

htcesq2 is offline Member

NZQA will need your original reference letter. However, since they don't actually evaluate experience, I think they'll accept a letter on company B letterhead confirming your experience in companies A & B, with an explanation as to how the writer acquired knowledge about your work at company A.

I think NZ Immigration will also accept this same letter, but here you'd probably be better off adding the contract and the paystubs.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I agree with all the above recommendations. For the employer that sent you a PDF, I recommend sending them a request letter with a return envelope (with stamp!) enclosed.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s