Thread: Timeline - how to slow things down?

trimprover is offline Member

Default Timeline - how to slow things down?

I've submitted my EOI for PR (155 points w/o job offer), and was notified a day or two later that my EOI is being examined. So far, so good. However, I'm now a little worried that things will happen too fast. So I'm wondering how long each remaining step of the process will take, and what I can do to slow down the process without decreasing my chances of getting in.

My understanding is that the following steps remain (in the best case scenario):

1) INZ examines my EOI and then invites me to apply (~1 month???)
    2) I get my documents together and then submit my application (how many months do I have?)
    3) INZ examines my application and then grants PR (3-9 months???)
    4) I have 12 months in which to move there

My questions:

- Does that rough timeline look correct?
    - How long can I take to apply (step 2) w/o jeopardizing my chances of getting in?
    - Is it risky to wait until the 11th or 12th month (in step 4) to move? Or is this the one step in which I can safely control the pace of immigration?

Thanks!

T

Jacqi B is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by trimprover View Post
    2) I get my documents together and then submit my application (how many months do I have?)
    T
    Four months. When you recieve your ITA you will have four months to get it submited.
    Jacqi B

155 points - no job offer
    EOI submitted 19/0808
    ITA received 11/0908
    ITA submitted 17/11/08
    CO assigned 28/0209 wants more info (given 26/03)
    PR approved 15/5/09

fevziye99 is offline Member

You can also apply for extension. We did - twice and got it. Once we applied for 30 days (got that) and when a doctor's report was late, we applied for another 30 days, got that too.

Quote Originally Posted by trimprover View Post
    I've submitted my EOI for PR (155 points w/o job offer), and was notified a day or two later that my EOI is being examined. So far, so good. However, I'm now a little worried that things will happen too fast. So I'm wondering how long each remaining step of the process will take, and what I can do to slow down the process without decreasing my chances of getting in.

My understanding is that the following steps remain (in the best case scenario):

1) INZ examines my EOI and then invites me to apply (~1 month???)

My questions:

- Does that rough timeline look correct?
    - How long can I take to apply (step 2) w/o jeopardizing my chances of getting in?
    - Is it risky to wait until the 11th or 12th month (in step 4) to move? Or is this the one step in which I can safely control the pace of immigration?

Thanks!

T
    EOI Applied 14th June, 2008 (150 Points, No Job Offer)
    EOI Selected 18th June, 2008
    ITA Received via email on 21st July 2008 (yay!)
    ITA Filed 12th January 2009.
    ITA 'lost'
    On a mission to find the ITA at the local post office! :)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Once you've been granted PR, you will have to pay the Migrant Levy before the blue stickers are put in your passports. You have up to 6 months to pay this, so you could drag it out before paying that .

The ruling is that, from being granted PR, you have 12 months to get to NZ to activate it, so I guess you'd be OK to wait that long, if you wanted to.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Keep in mind that activating the visa doesn't mean you have to move there at that time. What we did was go over just before the 12 months were up and did a bit of reconnoitering & vacationing. Now we have another 24 months before we have to get an extension thingamagiggie, though I think we will need to be over there and working for 6 of those 24.

Although we hadn't planned it, our PR approval got delayed about a year because of some surgery, and needing a "green light" from the surgeon, which got delayed. It worked out for us in the end, because we are such procrastinators about making such a big move.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Thanks for the info!

So it sounds like I have at least 16 months, if I plan to only make one trip to NZ and not request any extensions:

1) INZ examines my EOI and then invites me to apply (~1 month)
    2) I get my documents together and then submit my application (4 months)

I remember seeing a page once with statistics or examples of how some of these steps took. However, I haven't been able to re-find that page when googling. Do you know of a page which has example time lines?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

If you can't get you affairs in order in a year something is wrong. Once accepted you are in. That is why they give you up to a year to get there, They know it can take time for some people. The other thing you can do is start moving but done complete the move with in a year. You would at least be showing progress.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Moving isn't the hard part; it's deciding the safest time to travel with young babies; see: Births during application process