Thread: Anyone on here that got PR from USA?

fretraer is offline Junior Member

Default Anyone on here that got PR from USA?

WE will submit the application to the washington DC branch. The lady there said they usually take about 3 months(ish)
    Does that sound about right? When i talked to immigration in NZ they said 9 months to a year.

TIA!

Marc is offline Junior Member

I submitted my EOI for skilled migrant, and was issued an invitation to apply. My application is being handled out of England, and I was told the 6-month time frame is about right (three to be assigned to a worker, and three for a decision) but that it sometimes goes longer. I would love to have an answer back in only three months and not be dealing with people that are leaving work as I'm waking up.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Let's see if I remember correctly... We submitted our application (to London) in September, and got a case worker in December. They were ready to interview in January. Then we hit a snag and got delayed for a while. If we hadn't, I suspect we would have gotten PR by February.

But 6 months wouldn't be an unreasonable wait. Good luck!
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I have a temporary work permit, but submitted everything to the Washington branch. I really don't know how long it will take for PR, but my only advice to you would be to call them regularly. On the NZ Department of Immigration website, there is a place you can sign up for updates on your application, but in Washington, they had no idea what that was about. I would get notifications that I had mesages there, would go to the site and find - nothing! Once they receive your paperwork, it will have a case number. I can't say that I ever officially had a case worker. If I did, I never received notification. Just be your own advocate.

I can't say enough nice things about the people I spoke with at the Washington branch, all kiwis. At one point, I knew there was some sort of problem with my application (came over to be with my de facto partner) and I called the embassy. While they could not tell me exactly what the problem was, as I had not yet received a letter about it, the person I talked with alluded to what it was enough that by the time the letter did arrive in the next few days, I already had the suggested information together and a letter written to send back to them. No problems after that.

Having lived here in New Zealand for a few months, I can tell you nothing happens here in a hurry. The words "customer service" do not have the same meaning here as they do in the US! Apply in the US if at all possible.
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

So that's why you've been gone, 1HW! Have you settled in by now?
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s