Thread: Police Certificates - endorsing the photographs

Jacqi B is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Police Certificates - endorsing the photographs

How stupid is this?

We looked through the list of people who can endorse the photographs and thought about who we knew who could sign for us. An old friend, who we will be seeing for lunch soon was a teacher. "She'll do" we thought. But she's retired. The form doesn't say that they mustn't be retired - but against 'Commisioned Officers and Warrant Officers of the Armed Services' it says 'active or retired' - so I wondered if the rest had to not be retired.

I rang the number on the form this morning and said I had a query about the list. Before I had a chance to say what my query was the voice on the other end of the line said "oh, they are just examples, it doesn't have to be one of them".
    Okay. So I said "one of our friends is a retired teacher, can she sign?"
    "Oh no, they have to be working."

Hmm. So the list is not exhaustive but anyone on it, other than armed services officers, cease to be sufficiently responsible as soon as they retire. Maybe even if they are between jobs because then they wouldn't fulfil the 'must be working' rule.

Ho, hum. Now I have to entrust it all to the post and send it all to my teacher friend in London.
    Jacqi B

155 points - no job offer
    EOI submitted 19/0808
    ITA received 11/0908
    ITA submitted 17/11/08
    CO assigned 28/0209 wants more info (given 26/03)
    PR approved 15/5/09

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

If they mention about the military one being active or retired you'd have thought they would have stated somewhere on the form that signatories must be active and not retired, if that was the case. Would your doctor or a friendly JP be able to sign for you? Or someone in your bank? If those were only examples you were given, perhaps you could use other means of getting the photos endorsed. Shame to go to a lot of trouble just to get a signature.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jacqi B is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Would your doctor or a friendly JP be able to sign for you? Or someone in your bank?
    Thanks for the suggestions.

My doctor will charge (probably an arm and a leg). I don't think I know any JPs. Haven't been into a branch of my bank for years and years - all internet banking these days.

Have arranged to send the photos and documents to my friend by recorded delicery and have her send them back the same way. I wonder why people cease to be 'a responsible person' once they retire?
    Jacqi B

155 points - no job offer
    EOI submitted 19/0808
    ITA received 11/0908
    ITA submitted 17/11/08
    CO assigned 28/0209 wants more info (given 26/03)
    PR approved 15/5/09

TanyaJ is offline Member

We had to get this done last week... we went to our doctor and were told they wont sign them any more. Then to the bank and they said they wont sign for anything that will be used internationally. Then to the police station and were told only one person there could do it and we'd have to come back during the week. They dont make it easy, do they?