Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Validity of PR

Maritoni is offline Junior Member

Default Validity of PR

Hello,

I really find this forum very helpful. i have been researching about how to go about my plans to migrate to NZ since Jan of this year but only after i read the exchanges and helpful informations shared here that I can say to myself that it is really doable.

Between my OH and I, its really me who is very keen in going to NZ, not to say that he is not being cooperative, though. He is all for it but I might be the one to lodge the application as his qualification is not included in the list. But even if mine is recognised, I still need to try to get a job offer for additional points.

I have read from testimonies here that so many were able to make it via a VV, then a WP before finally getting their PR, now that seems to be an attractive option for me. Not so much of a risk taker, I actually made a matrix of comparison in terms of fees, time schedules including the advantages/disadvantages of whether to wait for an offer of emp to file the EOI or just go there and try my luck. So I've finally laid out my timelines of until when I will wait for an offer. if none, then off I go to NZ by Jan next year.

Now for my question (wasn't that a long intro?):
    If within the next 2 years I become successful in getting a PR via the VV then WP, will the NZIS require that all of my dependent children (I have 3 but only the eldest might be left behind coz he is in college) immediately fly to NZ? How much time will he be allowed to defer entering NZ?

Hope you can enlighten me on this although this is too way out in the future but will be relevant in timing the filing of my application.

Maritoni

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maritoni View Post
    If within the next 2 years I become successful in getting a PR via the VV then WP, will the NZIS require that all of my dependent children (I have 3 but only the eldest might be left behind coz he is in college) immediately fly to NZ? How much time will he be allowed to defer entering NZ?
    Someone with PR has 12 months after being granted it to get to NZ to activate it before it becomes invalid.

I remember some time ago, the question was asked on here 'Does the whole family have to travel to NZ together to activate their PRs?' I was sure they didn't because I've heard of principal applicants going on ahead to start work while the other partner stayed behind to sell the house etc. Same thing with kids who stay behind to complete their education. However, I was shouted down on this by someone who said they DID have to travel together initially to activate PR. Unfortunately I can't find the old thread to quote it on here. I've also spent a couple of hours trawling through the INZ site to see what they say about it, but haven't come across it yet.

Perhaps someone who has personal experience of this can confirm or deny.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

You DO need to get to NZ to activate your PR. Everyones visas are seperate so whoever hasnt made it to NZ within the 12 months will lose their visa.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Yes, but the emphasis is on the 'travelling together' i.e. at the same time. I'm sure people can travel independently to activate their own PR as long as it's within the 12 months.
    Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

No, you dont need to travel together. I was in NZ when our PR was granted and WG was back in the UK. WG activated her PR when she got to NZ a month later.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Mother Bear,

Thanks so much for the info. I think the 12 months would be enough to let him finish his education should I be able to get my PR next year. But I would still appreciate if someone could clarify about the need for the family to "travel together to activate PR."

This also brings me to another question. I just read form 1105 of the INZ Application for Residence Guide. It says:

"If you do have a child who has finished school but who would like to work in New Zealand, your child can apply for a work visa or work permit, but they will need to meet normal work policy requirements. You need to know that if your
    child does work in New Zealand, they will no longer be considered dependent and won’t be approved as a dependent child in your residence application."

Is this statement in the context prior to lodgment of an application? So as long as he is still in college(dependent) when I lodge my application, this will no longer affect the PR if it is issued after his completion of education. Although I read in the Residence Guide (another form) that there is an option for adult children to gain residency , however, it would again require a different set of requirements and another processing time.

Again, thank you for that wonderful information. it surely lessens the anxieties.

Cheerio!

Ooops, seems like there was much activity already before i was able to send my msg. Thanks Taffy, at least, its ok for him to follow as long as he do it within the 12 months validity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maritoni View Post
    This also brings me to another question. I just read form 1105 of the INZ Application for Residence Guide. It says:

"If you do have a child who has finished school but who would like to work in New Zealand, your child can apply for a work visa or work permit, but they will need to meet normal work policy requirements. You need to know that if your
    child does work in New Zealand, they will no longer be considered dependent and won’t be approved as a dependent child in your residence application."
    Would it be right that your son will still be in education when you put in your application? If so, he can be included in your application. Whether you need to notify INZ if he later gets a job before you are granted PR, I don't know - I'm still looking . I can't see anything that states this, although it would be a different matter if he was already in a job and maybe even out of education as they would assume he would be looking for work.

Quite a few things, like the age limit for applying and the medical and police certificates, seem to depend on getting your application in quick before things change. Once they are submitted to INZ, the clock stops ticking. If you can get your application in before your son gets a job, I don't see the problem as he is still a dependent. Looking through the PR application form, it doesn't say anything about dependent children later finding work. It just asks for current information about the child.

That statement from INZ is very confusing though, but then that's normal for them.
    Mother Bear

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

My daughter (19 yrs) is still in education and has got PR with our application as a dependant child. There are no conditions on her visa regarding her staying in education for xxx number of years. As far as I am aware once PR has been granted and you comply with 18A clause (if applicable - this only relates to those who claimed points for a job offer) then anyone included in the application can do virtually what they like (as long as it is legal )
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

Thanks a lot Nickydwuk and also Mother Bear. Will get the wheels turning now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast