Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ITA alternatives?

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

Default ITA alternatives?

Well after all the deliberations, reading etc it looks as though our ITA application is scuppered. We still have 3.5 months though so not giving up easily.

Despite 12 years experience, because my degree doesn't Major in computer Science, I cannot claim the bonus points for being a programmer.

Would like to hear your views, and and advise on the following alternatives:

1) Drop the bonus points on our EOI application, which will take us below 140 points. Can we proceed, or would it go back into the pool?

2) Change my vocation to an Electronic engineer ... with less experience. Get bonus points for this, so still over 140 points. Would I then need to get employed as such once in New Zealand? This also assumes my boss is willing to be a little "creative" when writing a reference.

3) Get a job offer ... easier said that done as we still have our house to sell.

4) Give up on this application, get house sold and then re-apply once in NZ
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

My degree is in Math, and I don't recall any problems with getting bonus points for being a programmer. I don't remember the exact rules, though -- isn't it something like you need a degree *or* a certain number of years of experience?

If your "real" application drops you below the number of points that were needed to be selected from the pool (at the time your application was selected -- not the current threshold), then I believe your application will go back into the pool.

There is no requirement to get a job in the same field that you get bonus points in. The idea behind the bonus points is that it gives NZIS additional confidence that you will be able to find a job, since the bonus point occupations are in demand.

I would recommend option #3 -- get a job offer from an employer in NZ. That's the cleanest, fastest, surest way of getting accepted. Although I didn't need the points, it's also what I ended up doing. Since you only need to work for 3 months for the company that hires you, getting a job is easier than most people seem to think. The trick, if you can swing it financially, is to not care what you get paid, and to let your potential employer know that. If you're willing to work for a big discount to market prices, it's usually very easy to find work. That can also give you flexibility in terms of where you want to live.

Then, once you arrive, you can start looking for a new / better / ideal job at a better wage, and after 3 months, make the change.

One thing to keep in mind with option #3, though, is that you have to start your new job within 3 months of when you first arrive in NZ -- whereas if you don't have an offer up-front, you have a lot longer to get everything figured out.

Blog Entries

Thanks,

Maybe they've changed their criteria, but I have been told I need to get a full NZQA assessment done, and for the outcome to be Major in computer science, and not electronics.

The fraustrating thing is, to be an electronics engineer, I can have a degree in Computer Science OR electronics!
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Lou,

Once you've received your ITA, then thats all there is to it! It doesnt go back to EOI stage. If you have to drop a few points then so be it. The only thing that may happen is your ITA isnt processed as fast, but I don't see that happening either. I lost about 30 points on our application because the evidence wasnt up to par, but it made no difference to our ITA.

All is most definately not lost
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Oh Taffy .. now that sounds promising, but has me even more confused.

I have been told to do NZQA full assessment .. but know this will come back as the wrong degree subject from my bonus points. (Why programmers can't have a background in electronics I can't fathom)

We have 150 points, but without these points we'd drop to 125 points. Surely they wouldn't process the ITA as such?

Perhaps I need to bite the bullet and phone them up on their extortionately rated phone line?
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Lou,

Confuse ye not, you need to score 100 points or more to have a successful ITA. If I remember right, I think I had either 125 or 135 points when I applied, and we ended up with 105 and still got in. The 140 points thing just means you're guaranteed an ITA (just speeds things up), but dropping a few points doesnt mean they will reverse their decision!

If they are recommending an NZQA assessment, it may be good advice. I don't know what's what when it comes to quals, but anyway - DO NOT PANIC! As long as your points dont fall below 100, you're safe - well, as safe as anyone can be on the ITA ladder!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Blog Entries

Phew - although it sounds as though I shall have to bite the bullet and do the NZQA assessment.

Thanks Taffy .. you are a star :blow_kiss:

Lou
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Ace
    Ace is offline Member

As I understand it, if your points drop a little, it's OK, but only as long as you don't drop below the number that were required to be originally selected from the pool (one of the official stated purposes of your final application is to provide documentation to back-up the claims you made that led to your original selection from the pool). It's the threshold that's important. Having extra points above the threshold is of no benefit, as far as I know. The threshold has been 100 points lately, but there was a period when it went much higher....

Are you by any chance trying to claim points for a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage? In my case (I'm from the US), at first I thought the word "qualification" had something to do with whether I was capable of (qualified for) doing the work. However, NZIS actually means education in that case, and they have a list of specific degrees that are required in order to meet their definition. For IT workers, the degree has to be in computer science, information science, or information technology (unfortunately, the university where I went to school didn't offer any of those degrees when I graduated in 1979).

Since my degree was in Math, what I did instead was to claim bonus points for having relevant work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage. I could be wrong, but I believe those points don't have any specific education requirements.
    Last edited by Ace; 17-10-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Blog Entries

My head is really spinning now ...

On our EOI I claimed bonus points for
    1) Having a qualification in an area of absolute skills shortage and
    2) Having work experience in an area of absolute skills shortage

The more I read, the more confused I'm getting .... I "think" for both of the above you need to a) Have the necessary qualification AND at least 3 years experience, with at least 12 months in the last 18 months.

I will phone NZIS later and clarify .. but might get the NZQA done, (waste of money but still ..) submit ITA. They'll take 3-4 months to look at it, by which time we hope to have a job offer. Could that work?
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Blog Entries

Got a response from NZIS .. and thought I'd post here in case anyone else is in a similar situation.

We go ahead with the NZQA and I can claim bonus points for qualification being on short skills list, but have to ammend EOI to change job title/category from programmer to electonics engineer.

we will/may lose the bonus points for work experience on short skills list.

As this still gives us over 100 points, ITA should still be processed :-)

Lou

ps. Watch this space now for daft NZQA type questions!!
    PR AIP 10th May 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast