Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter from ex spouse regarding child residency

walkersnz is offline Junior Member

Question Letter from ex spouse regarding child residency

Has anyone been in the position of requiring a letter of authority from an ex spouse regarding allowing a child from a divorce to apply for residency? I need to know how to word the letter that he will send from UK, the wording to be acceptable to Immigration about residing lawfully & permanently etc.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, before I answer your question - I assume your ex-spouse a) is the childs natural father and b) agrees to the child living permanently in NZ (i.e. he is not objecting, otherwise you may have to take it through the Courts)....

How old is the child in question?

Oh, and welcome to the forum by the way

Yes he is the biological father and we just want to get the wording spot on, apparently the original letter we have re. student visa is n/a.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Walkersnz and to MoveToNZ.

This is a previous post on a very similar vein. If you scroll down to Glenda's second and very helpful post, you'll see that she's come up with the wording for the Statutory Declaration, which, I hope, is what you're looking for.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I used Glendas letter as a template for mine. The bit about sole custody no longer applies, my solicitor said it was out of date and made me change the wording. My ex's solicitor wasn't happy that it didn't say anything about my encouraging the upkeep of contact and she wanted to make me put contact times and dates in. I told her that was completely unreasonable and refused, I stood my ground when she tried the guilt trip and the intimidation thing and eventually got the whole thing signed and sealed.
    Use Glenda's letter as a base, it's a great place to start but then get some legal advice as per your personal circumstances as well.

Good luck
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

Thanks all, I have just read the threads from that link you sent me, it sounds like I am not the only one with a horrid spiteful malicious (breathe...) ex-husband who will muck us around just for fun. He already kept us in the UK for 4 weeks last year, dragging his heels over the 1st letter for our permits, while my husband was working in NZ.
    Now he knows we need a next letter he is in his element and pretty soon our police certificates and medicals/x-rays will have expired.
    I think we will have to instigate a court order which is a pain. Thanks all for your help anyway :-(

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Along the same vain, what do I have to do if my ex husband won't sign a letter simply because he's a waste of space and hasn't seen his son in over two years (Luke being 2 1/2 years old now), I have sole custody, he doesn't pay any sort of child support either. Do I have to go through the courts to get permission to move my son to NZ?

Dawn is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Just send a hit-man round BG - should do the trick.

Men - what a waste of space!! (Except my Gaz of course, and Taf, and KH and Koko and my mate Andy and a few others just to cover myself!)
    Passionate about the unfathomableness opportunities of kiwi-a-gogo-land

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Have you got a solicitor/lawyer you can ask advice from BG? I dare say you would need advice on local laws rather than us telling you what happens in our particular countries and getting it all wrong.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Bermy Girl is offline Senior Member

Well, a hit-man would be pointless at this stage because I have just found out that my ex has done a runner from the island , leaving behind loads of debts and people looking for him and has shot back to Canada...so, I shall never find him now...not that I ever wanted to, but it sure is going to make getting the papers I need for NZ immigration a must through the courts now...so ridiculous...more money on lawyers!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast