Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NZQA degree assessment - any advice?

lcscabral is offline Junior Member

Default NZQA degree assessment - any advice?

Hi all

After receiving my ITA about one month ago, finally I got everything together to apply for an NZQA degree assessment, which is required by my ITA, as I got points based on having a recognised degree.

Has anyone done this? How long do they usually take? They say in their manual about 20 days, but it sounds too good... is this realistic?

And about sending the original documents... it seems quite strange to me and worries me a little (I would expect them to ask for certified copies).

Do they return all original documents (including work reference letters and translations)?

Did anyone have any problems with this process or have any advice to give?

Many thanks
    Luis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Luis,

I haven't had any personal experience with NZQA but I'll just post this from the INZ website which contains the following paragraph.......

Internal Administration Circular No. 06/23

We recommend that you review the NZQA website in order to research the steps that you need to take to begin your qualification assessment. An NZQA assessment may take several months to obtain therefore you should consider applying for your NZQA as one of your first steps once you have been invited to apply (ITA).

That's not to say it will take that long, but be warned, just in case.

I believe you do need to send in original copies of your documents and they should be returned to you. If there's any problem with sending an original they will accept a certified copy, but perhaps someone will verify this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Mother Bear

Thanks for the reply... wow, from 20 days to several months is a big difference! And there is an option to pay extra nz$150 for an "fast track" which they say will drop the processing time to 10 days... they must be kidding! :)

Anyway, before I submitted my EOI I did a pre-assessment of my degree; they said that it would take 10 days to complete, and it did take 10 days! So hopefully nzis was just being overcautious...

Any more thoughts, anyone?

Thanks
    Luis

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I had to have my degrees assessed, too. If I recall correctly, it did take approximately the 20 *working* days to complete, plus the transit time back and forth. However, my degrees were from accredited US universities, so there was the additional step (which actually makes things easier) of verification of the degrees through the clearinghouse. That part was done via e-mail and was completed within 24 hours.

I did send originals, as requested. I, too, was nervous about sending my original diplomas, but they came back in the same condition as they went out. Bear in mind that you'll need to send them with your ITA, too, so get used to the idea. ;)
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Burgundy21 is offline Member

Did you KH, complete the work experience section or do a straight degree ratification? My qualifications are all UK but my work ex. is recently French. I realise I need the experience for the NZ teacher's registration to decide a salary level ( bliss...I could earn a real salary!!) but do I need it for the NZQA?

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I only had them assess my degrees. I know I sent letters verifying my work experience to NZIS and maybe to the Teachers' Council, bu I don't recall.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

zummerzet_lou is offline your flexible friend
    Blog Entries

am just about to do this ...

Can anyone tell me, is it JUST your degree that is assessed, or do they also take into account any work experience that you submit?

Ta,

Lou
    EOI Submitted 8th July 2007, 140 points no job offer.
    EOI Selected 18th July 2007
    ITA pack received 12th Oct 2007
    Completed ITA posted to NZIS 26th November 2007
    Case Officer assigned approx 22nd Feb 2008
    Immigration interview 7th May 2008
    PR AIP 10th May 2008
    Arrived in NZ, August 13th

Check out our website -> http://the-clarks.freehostia.com/

Burgundy21 is offline Member

Hi Lou,
    Mine is there at NZQA as we speak. I sent A levels as they linked to degree, degree cert then my teaching cert plus the degree syllabus (which was hell to get hold of as the dept of English had just chucked records out would you believe!!)

I included references, enough to fill in the section on page 15. From what I understood the refs are important if you have done something vocational like City and Guilds which has an integral work experience part. I am hoping I did it ok as the stuff has been with them a week now and I have not received a request for additional info.

I also fast tracked but it's too soon to know if it paid off.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zummerzet_lou View Post
    Can anyone tell me, is it JUST your degree that is assessed, or do they also take into account any work experience that you submit?
    Lou, I posted a possible answer to this here on your other post. See what you think.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default NZQA Assessment - update

Hi all

I would like to post an update in my situation so far.

I sent NZQA my international qualification assessment application with all the required original documents on mid September. They received it on the 24th September. My credit card was charged a few days later.

I chose NOT to pay for the fast track service.

But so far I did NOT receive any communication regarding my application, not even acknowledging its receipt, as stated on their website.

I sent a couple email messages to the department responsible for the assessment (QRS@nzqa.govt.nz) asking about the status of my application without any response. Then I sent a message to their helpdesk (helpdesk@nzqa.govt.nz) and got a response this time, saying:

The status of your application is awaiting allocation to an evaluator.
    We apologise for any inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

Then another one:

Please use your courier tracking number to ascertain delivery to New Zealand Qualifications Authority.
    Please check your credit card statement for date monies was deducted from your account.
    Your application should be logged onto our database within approximately one week of payment being received and an acknowledgement email will be sent to you at this point in time.

AT TIMES WHEN UNEXPECTEDLY HIGH VOLUMES OF APPLICATIONS ARE RECEIVED,
    THESE TIMEFRAMES ARE LIKELY TO BE EXTENDED.

This was on the 17th October, and didn't hear from them since.

I need to apply for the visa by mid December, and as you can imagine I am not very impressed with NZQA services and anxious about not receiving my assessment (if successful) in time.

I am disappointed specially by the fact that they were very quick to charge my CC (and I don't think they charge very cheap) but could not even email me acknowledging it?

Ultimately, they provide a service and charge for it, and I, as a customer, should be able to expect some kind of minimum service level. But I don't think that there is anything I can do but wait though -- or is there?

Thanks
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast