Thread: Gone about it the wrong way round?!

bubu is offline Junior Member

Default Gone about it the wrong way round?!

We got tired of not getting picked from the pool so went ahead and bought our tickets and are leaving for NZ in six weeks - thinking we would try and get jobs once we are out there. Well, on Wednesday we were actually chosen from the pool!!
    Now - my question is . . . . does anyone know what will happen next? Will we just have to wait until we receive our ITA or can we do it out there?
    We do have return tickets but would ideally love to just stay out there.
    I have put together all the docs needed bar our medicals - which I will take.
    Greatly appreciate any help!
    Thanks!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Bubu, welcome to MoveToNZ.

I know a lot of people go to NZ on Visitor's Visas and apply for PR once they are there, so I'd imagine you're just one step ahead of them in that you've already started the process. However, you would just need to be very careful to alert INZ that you are moving and make them aware of your new address, although probably you won't know that until you arrive in NZ.

Timing would be particularly awkward because of the indefinite date that your ITA package will arrive. If you hadn't already booked your tickets I'd have recommended waiting until you'd at least received the package, in case its arrival clashes with your departure from the country.

Perhaps a word to INZ would be appropriate to see how this could best be managed as they are the ones who'd have more idea about when you're likely to be sent your ITA.

Good luck.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I agree with MB. The timing is the thing. It took us about 2 months to actually receive our ITA, and I understand times are a little longer now than they were last year.

Should you stay and file your ITA from NZ, you'll want to make sure that you get all of your documents together before you leave. I'm not sure where you're from, but where ever it is, most likely the police certs are going to prove the most difficult, so make sure you have that sorted out ASAP--they're good for a year, so there's little chance of them expiring before you file your application.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiHopeful View Post
    I'm not sure where you're from, but where ever it is, most likely the police certs are going to prove the most difficult, so make sure you have that sorted out ASAP--they're good for a year, so there's little chance of them expiring before you file your application.
    I think it's 6 months KH and medicals are valid for 3 months.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

bubu is offline Junior Member

Default That simple?!

Thanks for your replies. I called in to the London branch of NZ Immigration this afternoon and they said to just 'rock on up to the local branch in NZ' and they will get the London branch to transfer our file over to NZ. They gave me an address to email in NZ to let them know what is happening - take the police checks with us and then have the medicals done over there - again, apparently easier and cheaper.

All seems rather toooooooo easy!!

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    I think it's 6 months KH and medicals are valid for 3 months.
    You are correct. I misread the section on police certs, which, in my own defense, is a bit confusing. They are valid for 12 months, but must be submitted within 6 months.

My mistake. Good catch, MB!
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008