Thread: Change in relationship status AFTER receiving ITA

lcscabral is offline Junior Member

Cool Change in relationship status AFTER receiving ITA

Hi to all

I have a question and I would be grateful if someone could give some advice...

I have been with my girlfriend for about 1 ? years now. However, as we didn?t have how to prove our relationship (no mortgage or bills or anything in both names) we decided to apply for residence under the high skilled immigrant scheme separately.

Though we have been living together almost since we met, the lease of the flat where we live was on her name only (that is why we could not use it to prove the relationship). However, in last September when the lease expired we signed a new one, this time on our both names.

I have applied for the visa about 4 months ago, and just received my Invitation to Apply! The thing is ? next month (September), we will be able to prove that we have been together for one year! Is it possible to amend my application to include her as my partner? Or do I need to cancel this one and file another expression of interest including her?

I don?t think she will have any problems getting a visa; she?s got 130 points with experience in a area of skill shortage, but we could save a lot in fees if we had only one application!! (specially now that the fee has gone up to almost ?700)

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks
    Luis

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Hello Luis,

It seems that you would be able to add her to your application. We wound up getting married after submitting the application (as domestic partners), and they just wanted us to forward the marriage certificate. You might want to email NZIS or check their website for the official word. The worst they can say is "no", which is unlikely.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Hi Selchie

Thanks for your positive reply!

I just emailed NZIS (using their online help facility) asking about this. Let's see what the response is... fingers crossed!

Cheers,
    Luis

Blog Entries

Good luck with it, and please be sure to report to the rest of us.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.

Hello

I just got a reply from NZIS about my query - with good news! Yes, I am able to include my partner in my application for residence!!!

And they said that they have posted the extra forms needed to do it.

My question now is what status will she have in NZ? As she is going with me, as my partner and not as an applicant herself, will she have all the rights and be able to get a job like me, or will she be in a more restricted type of visa?

Thanks
    Luis

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Luis,

If you're applying for PR and your partner will be included in your application, she should get PR as well. You aren't applying for any other type of visa so it stands to reason that her application will also be for PR.

You will, of course, have to go through the usual procedure of proving to NZIS that you have a stable relationship, so it means collecting evidence of that and the fact that you've been living together for a full 12 months or more.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi Mother Bear

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am applying for PR, but I read in this forum that, for any reason, they may offer me a work to residence permit initially.

If this is the case, what happens with my partner? Will she be able to work, I mean, will she get the same type of visa? Or will she depend on me getting a PR visa to be able get a job?

Thanks and sorry for so many questions!!
    Luis

Blog Entries

I get the impression that NZIS is pretty flexible, especially if someone has a desirable skill. If you only had work to residence, and your OH got a job offer, there may be a couple of extra hoops for her to jump through, but I don't think they'll be flaming.