Thread: ITA 99% ready... just SA police checks to sort out

Colart is offline Junior Member

Question ITA 99% ready... just SA police checks to sort out

Hi

Our ITA is ready for submission except for the South African police checks (which is proving to be a nightmare of bureaucratic incompetence!).

We've lived in the UK for 9 years and 3 Months and before that we lived in South Africa. The 'good character' requirements ask for a police check to be carried out for every country lived in for more than 12 months in the last 10 years.

I'm wondering whether we actually need the SA certificates considering we havent lived in that country for more than 12 months in the last ten years?

I'm keen to hear your thoughts...

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Colart,

Main question would be 'What nationality are you?' If you are SA then, unfortunately, you will need a police certificate from there no matter how long you've been there as NZIS is requesting details from your country of citizenship unless you can prove you've never lived there.

We need certificates from:

your country of citizenship (unless you can prove you never lived there)
    and
    if you are applying for residence:

any country you have been in for 12 months or more in the last 10 years, whether in one or more visits. If you are already in New Zealand, for example, under our Work to Residence category, this includes obtaining a police certificate from the New Zealand police,
    or
    if you are applying for a temporary entry visa and/or permit:

any country you’ve lived in for 5 or more years since turning 17.

Similarly, we haven't lived in the UK for over 10 years, but will still have to get our UK police certificates along with those from all the other countries we've lived in.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Colart is offline Junior Member

Question

Thanks MB... We are both British Citizens who have lost our South African citizenship...

The SA police checks although delayed are still on their way... I just don't want to hold up the submission...

Do you think We'd get away with submitting the App and then adding the Police checks shortly afterwards when they come in?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Yes, I'm sure you can as long as you drop a note in with your application stating that you're still awaiting the SA certificates. At least then they'll be aware that you are aware you need them and have done your 'duty' by applying for them. I'm sure the NZIS has many applicants who are held up waiting for bits and pieces to complete their applications and who send them along as as when they receive them. Your application obviously won't move that much forward until all the relevant paperwork is in, but at least all you currently have will be in the right hands.

Good luck with the ITA.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

I second what MB recommended about submitting the ITA without the police checks. I had to do the same with some of my paperwork (my teaching certificate was tardy) and there was no problem. When you submit your SA police checks, then NZIS will process your application.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

Bunstar is offline Member

Hi Colart,
    We submitted our ITA to the London branch in Feb. We were still waiting for my police check at the time. When we tried to submit (we handed everything in in person) they were a bit funny at first. But we explained we had only a couple of days til the ITA deadline ran out and we showed the receipt I had to prove we had submitted the forms to the police. After that they were fine and accepted the ITA but we got told it would not be put in the queue to be processed until we sent in the missing document...it was essentially in limbo. Better that than the ITA deadline expiring and having to start from scratch again!!!
    Good luck,
    Clare

mneuman is offline Junior Member

Default Obtaining the required SA Police Clearance certificates.

Hi. We went through a similar scenario awaiting the SA Police Clearance Certificate. We used a courier agency recommended by the SA High Commission here in London. It cost ?140.00 and took 7 weeks but we received the correct form in the end.

Try

yolies@netactive.co.za or Yolande Pienaar, DKP Investigations CC

Tel: +27 11 8153962/3 and Fax: +27 86 689 5078

These are the details of the company that helped us out. Their London contact was a bit useless but came through in the end.

Our ITA was received by NZ Immigration in London on 8th August and we received the wonderful "Approved in Principle" on 13th August.

Good luck