Thread: Interesting twist

duane1x is offline Member

Default Interesting twist

I got an email today from INZ that they are matching up ICT skilled migrants with potential employers and would I like to participate? I believe this would be targeted at those in the ITA process, as that's the stage where I am currently.

They mention that this is a trial, so possibly new? If anyone out there participated in this, I would be very interested in learning your experience - what sort of responses you got from employers, and how quickly. Apparently they circulate the basics of your qualifications and potential employers can see if there is a match.

I have a few concerns. One is that it is early in the timeframe for me to be doing this - I have been thinking of going over in the fall, with time for kiddos to finish out the school year and put the house on the market. If a company did have an opening, they probably wouldn't want to sit on it for six months. The second is that I've read some threads about the migrant pipeline as a source for cheap labor. Either because the migrants aren't attuned to the local marketplace and what they're worth, or because they are desperate to land a position so they accept a lowball offer. I wonder if that's a widespread perception or just some peoples' paranoia. But I had planned to get feet on the ground and do my own research and networking. ?Last of all, I'd really planned on getting over and finding where I wanted to live (leaning to Chch or Nelson areas) and then finding the position to match, rather than the other way round.

Someone once told me, find where you want to live, and then figure out what to do there. And this is the first time I was actually going to give it a try.

Any thoughts welcome. ?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting twist

You could always decline their offer. ;)

Alternatively, would they be prepared to delay the survey on your part until a bit nearer the time you would be interested enough to participate? You could always run with the survey, see what's thrown up by way of job offers but, at the same time, do your own research into jobs.

From what you say, you already have a plan mapped out so, if you're happy with that, I'd go along with it and hope for the best. Just be alert that the place you may want to live in may not provide a suitable job for you. Getting a job is vital to your continuing stay in NZ, therefore would be more important than finding a dream location to live in. Having said that, once you're established in NZ there would always be the time and the opportunity to look around for another job in a more suitable area.

Just my thoughts. :D
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

KiwiHopeful is offline God like figure

How ... I oculd see how that would be both interesting and exciting!

I'm sympathic to your concerns about the timeline ... I'm grappling with the same issue myself and scared to death about selling my house and finding a job on the other side of the world all within a reasonable (and narrow!) window.

I think MB's advice is good (as usual) ... I don't see why you couldn't dip your toes in now and dive in when you're ready.
    EOI Submitted: July 20, 2006
    EOI Selected: August 2, 2006
    ITA Received: October 12, 2006
    ITA Submitted: February 2, 2007
    Migrant Levy Paid & Visas Shipped: June 6, 2007
    Arrived in NZ: July 26th, 2007
    Leaving NZ: June 1st, 2008

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I haven't heard of this matchmaking before. You could tell them that you might be interested, but want to know more about it. It might help you get your foot in the door of someplace desirable.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

duane1x is offline Member

They had a tight timeframe on getting my reply, so I said thanks but no thanks at the moment, love to do it in about 6 months. It was a web form so I couldn't even cull out of it an email address to query down the road. Ah well. I just didn't feel comfortable with going forward at this point. I haven't even gotten the full nzqa assessment back, haven't submitted the ITA, kiddos in the middle of school, etc. Everything in time. Hopefully.

firing1 is offline Member

This is a new strategy NZIS are applying in order to fill the skills shortage. They are trying a similar thing in Germany where they "cherry pick" candidates that may be suitable. It's the way they want to go rather than sending out the message to everyone that NZ is great they want to target the people that the industries over here need. It'll be interesting to see how it works.

Paul G

firing1 is offline Member

Sorry just to pick up on your point of where to live MB is correct you may have to go where the job offer is. ICT has pockets of shortages i.e some towns don't need any ICT where others need loads. The wages thing is a whole different story. It's no secret that wages here are lower but it's all about perception and getting used to how you spend your money. It takes time but also there are some well paid jobs just don't go expecting to be on the wage you are on in your own country.

Paul G