Thread: ITA at last

missvee is offline Senior Member

Default ITA at last

:D Good news, yippee and bad news ?:( boo. I have my invitation to apply, at last. It really does depend on your case worker and how long it will take. Sent my EOI and got selected July.
    The bad news is because I am a midwife I have to be registered and the board are not sitting till January 8th, when my employer wants me to start work, my employer is not happy but my hands are tied.
    Rang immigration in New Zealand (believe me its easier and more helpful if you ring them direct, than actually contacting London which is useless) I asked them would it be easier for me to go as a tourist and put in my application for residency whilst there once I got my registration. I can but it will take longer. Your file has to be transferred to New Zealand and you have to be assigned a case worker. So it will be quicker to wait for my registration and then apply.
    Does anyone know how long it takes to be granted residency from this point. I have 140 points plus because i have a job and its a skills shortage.
    Does anyone know any other quick way of getting there, i.e. visa or work permit.

Missvee

LilAmy is offline God like figure

Default Re: ITA at last

Hi Missivee.

A few people have asked quicker routes to get to NZ when waiting on the Residency.

One way as long as you are 30 or under is to get a 12month working holiday visa. You can take up employment with that whilst waiting on your Residency.

Not too sure how the other visa's like Work Visa etc work. You can take up permy employment as well with a 12m WHV as long as your employers know you can only work for 12months until your other visa is granted.

Good luck!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

You wouldn't be able to start work without at least a Work Permit or, as Amy says, a WHV which allows you to work for a certain period. In your case it's not worth suggesting you go on a Visitor's Visa, like we do for other people, as you can't work on that.

You're no doubt going to run into problems time-wise due to the Christmas and New Year shutdown. Pity about the timing. :(

Hope you can sort something out as you're obviously very keen to get there and get started. Usually, if you have a job offer, they're very keen to get you there so PR should be pretty quick although your registration (or lack of it) could well put a spanner in the works. :-/
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

i think it is going to have to be a case of me and my employer being patient, if I still have an employer. I have run into a lot of chicken and egg situations in all this, like you only have so long a time period with medicals and police checks and waiting for employers to get there act together then they want you there yesterday.
    I am really annoyed about the registration. In UK you send off your paperwork and get your registration. You wouldn't believe the amount of paperwork they want, it is worse than Immigration!
    This is for all future midwives and nurses, get your registration in when you get your EOI selected. There is a hell of a lot of paperwork and contacting other agencies.

I will let you know what goes on so for now Merry Xmas if I don't get on here before.
    Missvee

Hi missvee,

Try and keep your chin up with it all. We've all had similar problems even with simple visa's like 23month ones but we all get there in the end.

It is a slow process and it doesnt help that everywhere shuts down from next week in NZ as well but you will get there.

Why not try for the WHV these usually take 10 days to get. The 12 month one you dont need any paperwork at all which would give you 12months here in NZ and you can work as well?

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi Lil Amy. Unfortunately i have to be registered as a mmidwife to work and this is what is holdong things up. The WHV you mention, if that is the one were you have to be under 30 I am a decade too old. :(
    I am thinking how I can get over this and coming up with blanks, thanks for the advice anyway.
    Missvee

I know for Oz you can pay a company if you are over 30 and they get you in with a WHV - not sure if this is the case in NZ but it may be another option to look into once you become reg'd??

I've got everything crossed for you - hope it all works out.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Lil Amy. Unfortunately i have to be registered as a mmidwife to work and this is what is holdong things up.
    I suspect, if you can't work without that all-important registration then you're stumped until it comes through, unfortunately. ?I don't see a way round it unless your employer can somehow put some pressure on NZQA. ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.