Thread: CV Layout

katiej35 is offline Member

Default CV Layout

One more question

Can anyone suggest a source for a NZ layout of CV, not sure if my English one is how it should look for the NZ market place.

I am an Exec PA for a software company, recently attended the NZ Expo in London and came away feeling not able to get work as not a dentist, doctor, housebuilder, engineer etc. but surely they need administrators in NZ too !

Katie

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Default CV Layout

Hi Katie

Wow, what a lot of questions for a lazy Sunday. Unfortunately you've picked one of our quieter days on the forum to submit them but, hopefully, you'll eventually get all the answers you want.

To be honest, I haven?t come across anyone else who's asked this question about CV layout, which leads me to think that all the other CVs that have been touted around the various companies have been acceptable in their original format. That is, of course, providing they are well set out to begin with.

Considering how many expats send CVs around the world on an hourly basis, I would think the normal set up is accepted worldwide. Just make sure you have all your personal details like name, d.o.b., address, contact details, list of quals etc. at the top then, underneath, some clear details of current and previous work experience, starting with the latest company first and working backwards in chronological order, showing dates you started with a company and when you left to give some idea of how long you worked there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

katiej35 is offline Member

Default CV Layout

Thanks Mother Bear,

I am just waiting on one more thing to put in my ITA and it is all starting to feel quite real, a bit exciting but also a bit scary as I am going solo with no friends/family to greet me out there !

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default CV Layout

Hmm I used a Kiwi template for my CV, can't tell you where I got it from tho I'm afraid, would have just google nz it. Also can't say how successful it is yet.
    I did read that the Kiwi cv layout is slightly less formal and my template is certainly less bells and whistles and more to the point. Sorry can't be more help.

Welcome to the forum btw.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default CV Layout

Hi Katie,

I use the following format.

Headers
    1) Name in large bold
    2) Address, contact numbers and email address

Main body
    1) Professional experience (depicting my profession work experience) Include the duration for each position, title of position, company, experience and responsibility.

2) Certifications (omit if none)

3) Education history

4) Technical or other knowledge

5) Awards if any

6) Personal (Hobbies, ambitions and etc)

7) References

8) Availability

Hope this will help you in coming out with the CV.

Pulsarblu

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default CV Layout

Oooo you have awards??

Pray tell.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Default CV Layout

Yes, from the previous employers though....this current one...just more "Work" awards. ;)

Boss said:"I award you with more work from now on!"

moggy is offline God like figure

Default CV Layout

These are the instructions I got for preparing a CV in response to a job that was advertised by DOC (Department of Conservation)

Guide To Preparing A Curriculum Vitae
    A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a statement about you. Its purpose is to provide a prospective employer with information about you and your skills, experience and personal qualities relevant to a particular position. A CV should list essential information about you, what you have learned and ccomplished regardless of where or when you obtained your knowledge and experience and regardless of job titles or pay.

Obtain the Job Description and focus the content of your CV on the knowledge, skills, competence and experience required.

There is no set way to prepare a CV. The following is one suggestion:

NAME:
    Give your full name. (Perhaps underline your preferred given or first name.)

ADDRESS
    Give an address where you can be contacted.

TELEPHONE NUMBER
    Give a telephone number where you can be contacted or where a message can be left.

DATE OF BIRTH
    Optional. You are not required to give your date of birth.

QUALIFICATIONS
    List your most recent job first and work backwards in time. Give the name of your employer, location, the job title and number of years in the position. Identify key esponsibilities, experience, skills, and achievements you have gained in each position that is relevant to the vacancy you are applying for.
    Please also ensure that your CV provides evidence of the competencies relevant to the position as detailed in the job description.

UNPAID WORK, COMMUNITY, FAMILY AND OTHER EXPERIENCE
    Outline community, family, unpaid work or other experience that you have had and how this is relevant to the vacancy you are applying for.

TRAINING
    List any training you have received, eg attendance at short courses, oral communication, effective writing etc.

REFEREES
    Optional. If you wish, list some referees who can speak about your work and/or community involvement. Give their names, addresses and telephone numbers. Check that they are happy to be contacted.

FURTHER OPTIONAL INFORMATION
    You may wish to add further information about yourself which will add to the knowledge that the employer may gain about your skills and competence for the job. List other attainments and qualifications not already mentioned. You may also, if you wish, attach copies of any recent written reference(s) that you hold.

ALSO REMEMBER
    It is not necessary to enclose your CV in a folder or binder as these are often discarded when your application is filed. It is important, however, that all photocopies of papers provided are good clean copies and of A4 size. Keep it brief, up to date and focused on the knowledge, skills and experience relevant to the vacancy.