Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get job offer while preparing ITA?

bobgoh is offline Junior Member

Default How to get job offer while preparing ITA?

Hi!

From the forum, I understand that quite a number of people received job offer while in the process of ITA or applying resident permit without physically present at NZ. But based on all the feedbacks I got from NZ recruitment agencies that I must have work visa or at least make a trip to NZ for interview in order to get hire.

Appreciate if you could shed some light here on the strategy/technique on how to get a job offer while applying for visa without spending a fortune to get to NZ just for interview.

Thanks

Bob

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I think both apply. It depends on how much NZ wants your skills as to whether you can get a job offer without being in NZ first. Certainly it is easier to find one if you are there in person because, as has been said many times on here, potential employers feel that you have already made a committment by travelling to NZ looking for work. If you do it from home, there's always a possibility that you might change your mind and won't actually make the journey to NZ to start the job. A face to face interview gives both employee and employer a chance to check each other out and may say more for you than just a few emails or phone calls could.

With regard to the Work Visa/Permit, you can apply for one from your home country or when you're in NZ. Some employers say they won't look at you without a permit in your hand, but others are prepared to wait until you get one. It depends on the employer and how impatient they are for you to get your permit and start work. It isn't true that there aren't any employers who will offer you a job without having a permit first.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Pulsarblu is offline God like figure

Welcome to the forum Bob!

Ahhh...the ever tacky question about securing a job offer. Yes, I totally agreed with what MotherBear said. How you get a job while not present in New Zealand really boils down to the potential employer whether how eager they need to fill in that position or more so how unlikely they are to find skilled employee in NZ which makes foreign skilled workers attractive.

It is defintely possible to get a job offer while not physically in NZ and at the same time some potential employers or recruitment agencies would only want to consider you when you arrive in NZ. I personally have three recruitment agencies that only want me to contact them 3 weeks prior to my visit before they want to setup something even though I already have a work visa, so that said a bit about the difficulties to get a job offer while offshore.

But I think the key is to how you can market your skills and expertise and experience.

Hope that is useful.

Default Got it

Thanks for your valuable information.

I would suggest that you start getting yourself registered with the recruitment agencies now if you have not done so. And start looking at many of the job bank sites in New Zealand.

good luck!!

pulsarblu

This is a comprehensive although not exhaustive list of recruitment agencies at our Master Web links post.

Default Thanks

This is a comprehensive although not exhaustive list of recruitment agencies at our Master Web links post.
    Wow! Thanks for the links.

Bob

Hi Bob!

Was just catching up on all the threads when I read yours!!

Just wanted to share our experience, Mike is a joiner/carpenter and we sent our ITA in without a job offer, however, I trawled the yellow pages www.yellowpages.co.nz and targeted firms in the area we wanted to go to (Tauranga) and very cheekily sent off e-mails with Mike's CV. To cut a long story short, Mike was given a job offer from a national company and I let our case officer know pronto and hey presto, we just heard last week that we had PR :icon_biggrin:

My advice is be brave and go for it!!

All the best
    Carolynne

Let my fingers do the walking!! Thanks Fingerscrossed.

Pulsarblu

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

..... we just heard last week that we had PR [smiley=icon_biggrin.gif]
    Fingerscrossed! Well done. Another one in the pot.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast