Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cliff

Thread: Iraqi family - Initial accommodation, NZ

sayhood is offline Junior Member

Default Iraqi family - Initial accommodation, NZ

Hello,

What would be the most suitable short-term accommodation in NZ (Auckland North shore or Wellington) for me and family (4 kids) to stay in whilst looking for a job?

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Auckland will for sure be more expensive. But there are more jobs in Auckland too.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    Auckland will for sure be more expensive. But there are more jobs in Auckland too.
    Hi Cliff, thanks for your reply. You are right! Auckland is more expensive with more jobs opps. You see, adjusting my kids with the new life is more importantely. Language will be a barrier (elder son is 6 years old only) they bearly speak proper arabic. Living within a community with similar peers (english/arabic speaking kids) would ease the mission to mingling them in and about so quickly. My cusion is a kiwi and said glenfield would be an option to start over! What do you think? Any similarty in the area you are living now or probably knew before this time! I see you became kiwi and spent long time already. Cheers

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

sayhood

It doesn't not matter if is Auckland or Wellington, either will be big change for your children. To look at the long term is a better option. I lived in the Wellington area for 11 years so I know the area well. Children pick up a foreign language quick especially when very young. At a young age children don't know about racism so they see each other as equal. Racism is something that is learned from their environment.

The weather is a little colder in Wellington. Coming from Iraq to anywhere in NZ you can't lose. IMHO NZ is the best country in the world to raise a family.

You just need information about both area to help you make a decision. You will then decide what is right for your family. Everyone is unique. There is no single answer.
    sayhood likes this.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    sayhood

It doesn't not matter if is Auckland or Wellington, either will be big change for your children. To look at the long term is a better option. I lived in the Wellington area for 11 years so I know the area well. Children pick up a foreign language quick especially when very young. At a young age children don't know about racism so they see each other as equal. Racism is something that is learned from their environment.

The weather is a little colder in Wellington. Coming from Iraq to anywhere in NZ you can't lose. IMHO NZ is the best country in the world to raise a family.

You just need information about both area to help you make a decision. You will then decide what is right for your family. Everyone is unique. There is no single answer.
    Hello Cliff,

It gonna be a new challenge, espeically for the kids. We are living in UAE for the last 13 years, my kids are born in here. We used to have hot and humid weather most of the year. We love cold weather and snow blizzards, travel to cold countries in most vacations, is a hobby, we are a "cold freak". Khandallah seems to be a good choice in Welligenton.