Thread: Questions asked during the interview for a SMC application without a job offer

Stefan is offline Junior Member

Question Questions asked during the interview for a SMC application without a job offer

Hi All,

I just received an email invitation to a formal interview on January 30 to assess my ability to settle in and contribute to New Zealand. Has anyone personally gone through this interview for a SMC application without a job offer before and what were the questions asked?

Thanks all in advance:)

AusToNz is offline Junior Member

Oh. That's great! But unfortunately I can't really help you. I know someone who had such an interview but am nor sure about the questions and if he had a job offer. If I get some news I will let you know.

Srivatsa is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
    Hi All,

Has anyone personally gone through this interview for a SMC application without a job offer before and what were the questions asked?

Thanks all in advance:)
    Hi Stefan,

I have replied to your question in the other thread. Anyways, I will re post it here. I do no have a job offer but was granted the Residence Visa. The questions asked were:
    1) What steps I have taken to secure a job there.
    2) Where in New Zealand I am planning to settle.
    3) Do my spouse also have plans of working there.
    4) If I have international work experience.
    5) What challenges I foresee in adjusting to the work culture in New Zealand
    6) Any friends/family members currently there.
    7) Am I aware of what would be the expenditure for a family of 3.
    8) What are my salary expectations. What specific positions I am looking at. Are these positions available in NZ.
    9) Whats the impact of global recession on NZ. What is the current unemployment rate

Quote Originally Posted by Srivatsa View Post
    Hi Stefan,

I have replied to your question in the other thread. Anyways, I will re post it here. I do no have a job offer but was granted the Residence Visa. The questions asked were:
    1) What steps I have taken to secure a job there.
    2) Where in New Zealand I am planning to settle.
    3) Do my spouse also have plans of working there.
    4) If I have international work experience.
    5) What challenges I foresee in adjusting to the work culture in New Zealand
    6) Any friends/family members currently there.
    7) Am I aware of what would be the expenditure for a family of 3.
    8) What are my salary expectations. What specific positions I am looking at. Are these positions available in NZ.
    9) Whats the impact of global recession on NZ. What is the current unemployment rate

Thanks for sharing the questions with me, Srivatsa. What was your answer to #3? My wife will eventually join me and will like to work in NZ too but it may be a little bit more difficult for her to find a PR job since it's not listed on the LTSS list. Would you expect your spouse to also face the same problem?

Also, with #7, I'm assuming you were asked about the expenditure for a family of 3 because you have a child? We don't have any children so I don't expect it to be as financially taxing on me as I'm planning to go to NZ first to find a job before my wife joins me.

How long did the interview last and were you and your spouse asked the same questions or were they mainly for you?

Thanks for sharing the questions with me, Srivatsa. What was your answer to #3? My wife will eventually join me and will like to work in NZ too but it may be a little bit more difficult for her to find a PR job since it's not listed on the LTSS list. Would you expect your spouse to also face the same problem?
    Yes. Since my wife is in HR profession it might be a little difficult for her to find a job. But this did not matter (at least in the interview) since she is not the principal applicant.

Also, with #7, I'm assuming you were asked about the expenditure for a family of 3 because you have a child? We don't have any children so I don't expect it to be as financially taxing on me as I'm planning to go to NZ first to find a job before my wife joins me.
    Yes. I have a two year old son. I am also planning to go to NZ first and then get my family after I settle down.

How long did the interview last and were you and your spouse asked the same questions or were they mainly for you?
    About an hour. The set of questions listed were for me. My wife was asked more on how she plans to manage a kid and a job if she gets one. Has she done any research on job prospects. When does she intend to start working. Again, since she was not the principal applicant her answers might not have impacted the decision(she said she will try to look out for a job only after couple of years and currently have no idea on how to find a job in NZ). My assumption is she was questioned also to determine whether she needs to take up IELTS exams(since we are not from native English speaking country. Both of us got a waiver anyways)

Quote Originally Posted by Srivatsa View Post
    Yes. Since my wife is in HR profession it might be a little difficult for her to find a job. But this did not matter (at least in the interview) since she is not the principal applicant.

Yes. I have a two year old son. I am also planning to go to NZ first and then get my family after I settle down.

About an hour. The set of questions listed were for me. My wife was asked more on how she plans to manage a kid and a job if she gets one. Has she done any research on job prospects. When does she intend to start working. Again, since she was not the principal applicant her answers might not have impacted the decision(she said she will try to look out for a job only after couple of years and currently have no idea on how to find a job in NZ). My assumption is she was questioned also to determine whether she needs to take up IELTS exams(since we are not from native English speaking country. Both of us got a waiver anyways)
    It's comforting to know, to a certain degree, that they may not be as concerned about what my wife's answers are as they are of how she answers them.

In your confirmation email, which you received earlier this month, did it state when you needed to enter NZ and list other requirements that you had to fulfill?

In your confirmation email, which you received earlier this month, did it state when you needed to enter NZ and list other requirements that you had to fulfill?
    No. It only tells by when you need to pay the migrant levy(within 6 months). The entry conditions will be tied to the Visa(1 year from the date of stamping).