Thread: New member hello

wleitzel is offline Junior Member
    The geographical center of Pennsylvania, USA.

Default New member hello

Hi all from a cold and snowy central Pennsylvania,USA. My wife Tina, son Ben and I live in a beautiful rural farming valley tucked away in the Appalachian mountains. We farm (intensive garden) 13 acres (5.26 hectares) using organic/permaculture methods, and either on farm or local resources. Currently seed garlic is our main crop, but we are putting in 180 highbush blueberries this Spring. I have been a builder for the past 30 years and now also consult and design for those wanting to build an interdependent environmentally sound small farm for themselves. I have recently started selling my art work as well. There will soon be examples of my acrylic paintings on my Ecosophy Farm website. I am a self taught naturalist with a deep ecology perspective. Hunting and gathering adds to our food and medicine supply. We rarely buy any food except dairy and grain products. Tina is an Administrator in the dietary department of a local retirement community. She enjoys music, readind and quilting as well as outdoor activities. Ben, now 10 years old, enjoys archery, soccer, music and drawing ... and of course READING. Fortunately he is not always in a book. Why do we want to leave a beautiful farm, close friends, positive community ties and family? That I'll save for thread #2. Thank you for this free and informative sight in our time of change. Warren

People Space is offline Senior Member

Default hello!

Wow. You do sound so very settled there and have future plans with planting etc.
    Now you have us all wondering what might your reasons be for considering a big uprooting
    -pun intended ;-)

wleitzel is offline Junior Member
    The geographical center of Pennsylvania, USA.

Default RE:hello new member

People Space wanted to know why we want to pull up stakes from central PA and head for the other side of the planet. I've always been baffled by the notion that one should live where they were born. Once you know yourself and have focused on your dreams, a little research and a bit of adventurous spirit can point the way to a place your heart can really call home. New Zealand bit me that way. You have nearly all of the physical and social logistics I would call exceptionally suited to our needs. Not least of which is the out-of-the-way nature of your Nation with respect to the focus of the worlds current super powers. We do not feel safe under the " protection" of the biggest baddest armed forces the Earth has ever known. Many families hear are stocking up on weaponry in their homes. I guess they are afraid of our government, or their neighbors, or foriegn invaders, or ... who knows. The ever widening gaps between the Left and Right, racial tensions or sudden extreme financial collapse have folks ready to " survive" at all costs. Throw in peak oil and environmental ( overpopulation) issues on top of that. Can Americans come together to peacefully make the change to a post fossil fuel world? I doubt it. Have any of the powerful nations shown their ability to plan justly into the far future? No.

New zealand is a peaceful nation with a diverse government that does a good job of representing its diverse citizenry. Your people need not fear their government. I only hope you know how good you have it. Your nation is one of the few that is realizing the benefits of protecting your environment and helping ( not hindering) its people to become self sufficient as soon as possible. Kiwi's have the brightest future on the planet, in my opinion. Now toss into the package the undisputed fact that there is hardly a place on Earth that has the natural beauty around every bend in nearly every lightly traveled road that you have, and,well, why wouldn't we want to live their? I do respect the notion that too many of the wrong kind of people could negatively change the character of life in N.Z. Also, too many people in general will cause environmental overshoot that will make times harder in a post fossil fuel era. A small remote nation just doesn't have the native resources to handle unskilled crowds. I guess your goverment is realizing this and is justly making it harder to immigrate to N.Z. Would I love to live their, you bet. I'm starting to get the feeling though, that a country fella like me, that doesn't have millions of dollars at my disposal, may find it near impossible to make such a move. Good luck and congradulations to all those who can jump the hurdles and make a positive contribution to life in the land of the long white cloud. Sincerely Warren Leitzel

People Space is offline Senior Member

Hi wleitzel,
    Thank you for explaining - didn't mean to be nosey, it just sounded like you have a great life where you are, and must have strong reasons for making a big change.

I very much agree that living where you are born is not for everyone. It is great that we can find out more about other places than used to be the case, and learn that there is more than one way of doing things.