Thread: Interested In Permanent Move From USA To NZ

Philly Will is offline Junior Member

Default Interested In Permanent Move From USA To NZ

Hello all.

My name is Will. I am an undergrad at Wilkes University (Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania, USA) in my junior year working towards a bachelors degree in psychology.

My future wife and I have discussed the possibility of moving to New Zealand on many occasions, but we've only recently begun to seriously look into the matter. I must admit that I'm a bit nervous about the process, and I am especially fearful that I may be turned down, as my only work experience to this point in my life has been for a cable television and internet provider. I hope to begin my internship this summer, but I expect that it may be several years after graduation before I'll have enough work experience in my chosen field to be able to find work in New Zealand that would allow me to become a permanent resident.

On the lighter side, I was surprised to see that NZ ISP's tend to charge by the amount of data that is sent or received. If I am successful in moving to NZ, I'm quite sure that Orcon will fall in love with me. I'm a MLB.TV subscriber, and I imagine that watching Phillies baseball over broadband will rack up the bill pretty quickly.

Well, that's about all for now. As I write this, it is 12:30 am and my hometown is buried in over a foot of snow, so a late night coffee run is out of the question. :) You can find me on Facebook through the email address william.schweitzer@wilkes.edu.

Take care.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ Phil.

Psychologist is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List so you are in with a chance. Whether you would need a certain amount of work experience to go with your qualification, I wouldn't like to say. Work experience could mean all-important bonus points to add to your score or, depending which qualification you get, you could need NZ registration before being able to practice and I don't know if they would require you to have had previous experience.

In order to claim bonus points for qualifications in an area of absolute skill shortage under the Skilled Migrant Category, applicants must meet the following specifications.

Master of Psychology OR Postgraduate Diploma in Psychology AND NZ registration

And on a different note, should you really be thinking of a late night coffee run just before bed? Doesn't coffee keep you wide awake?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Where can you find a late night coffee shop in New Zealand, (outside a major city) even without snow? Hope you don't mind paying $3.50 for a "flat white" the same size as a small coffee in the US!

I would encourage ANYONE thinking about moving here (or anywhere in the world) to come for a visit first. Would you move to another city in the US without visiting it? It amazes me that people would consider moving to a different country without visiting. I certainly wish I had. I would have had such a different perspective and would have done A LOT of things quite differently had I known some of the obstacles I would encounter!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10