Thread: to pay or not to pay?

gethdine is offline Junior Member

Default to pay or not to pay?

Hi there , I am a nurse from London who is applying under the skilled migrant caregory and am in the throws of my EOI. I have found your community really helpful but wondered what peoples thoughts were about whether to pay for an immigration advisor (so far I have been quoted between 2000-3000) or to just do it myself and use the money towards the general cost of the whole process. I have a husband and 2 kids on the form too. What do people think? Any advice would be most appreciated.
    the whole process is starting to look daunting!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Gethdine, welcome to the forum.

From previous posts in the past, the general feeling seems to be that you can go through the application process yourself with the help of forums like this and save yourself a lot of money that could be put to better use. The greater part of what goes into the application involves collecting various documents together and, even with an immigration advisor assisting with the process, you would still have to do this part yourself and provide all the information that goes onto the form. As a nurse you should, hopefully, be able to go through to residency pretty easily if all is well with your medical and character records. An immigration advisor is OK if you have a particularly gritty problem to overcome but if your application is straight forward, there's no reason why you can't do it yourself and we're here to help out where we can.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

hi mother bear thanks so much for your reply, i am glad to hear what you said as it seems like a huge cost to pay out if i can manage to do it myself. I wonder if you could advise me on something else too? I am currently pregnant so will only have my two older children on the form, if I start the process without the new baby on the application would it be problematic adding it midway through the process ? i was not sure whether to wait but was reluctant to delay it because I know that the whole process can take quite a long time. I would appreciate any advice,
    Many thanks

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gethdine View Post
    I wonder if you could advise me on something else too?
    Under new regulations which require immigration consultants/advisors to be licensed, we aren't allowed to 'advise' on these forums any more. We can only share information and tell of our own experiences although it's sometimes very difficult not to have our pearls of wisdom coming out sounding like advice.

Re the pregancy (Congratulations!), INZ has had a bit of a downer on people who come to NZ pregnant and, where the medical certificate is concerned, they reckon someone who is pregnant is not of an acceptable standard of health if they intend to give birth in NZ. I assume, if you are giving birth in your home country, that being pregnant won't interfere with your application. As for entering your baby's name on the form, I'm not sure about this, but does it look like you could put something to the effect that a baby is on the way, just to alert INZ that there will be an addition later? Maybe put something where the child's name should be like 'Baby no. 3 - due to be born.... (on whatever date you've been given). At least baby gets to reserve his/her slot on the application. If you aren't comfortable with this you can always email INZ and ask the question. They can take a few days to answer but it's worth a go.
    Mother Bear

Default pregnant while making EOI

Hi Mother Bear Thanks once again for your advice. I contacted INZ yesterday and they have just got back to me so were really quick. here is their reply, just incase anyone else needs this info:

"Thank you for taking advantage of our Online Help facility.You may add the details of the child once you have give birth. You would need to contact the branch processing your application with all the relevant details so that the child can be included in your application"

thanks again for everything and for making this forum!

Gethdine

Blog Entries

Sorted! Glad you got a quick response, so you didn't have to hang around wondering.
    Mother Bear