Thread: Hello from a newbie

WonderingAloud is offline Junior Member

Default Hello from a newbie

Hi All!

Iv been lurking around on here for a while now and thought it was about time to say hello!

I have recently come back from a trip to New Zealand with my husband (and by recent I mean Monday- still very jetlagged!) and after absolutely loving what we have seen we are now getting into the nitty gritty of starting the relocation process.
    I am a midwife and my husband is in IT - although he is also a qualified carpenter. I attended an interview whilst in Wellington which went well, so I am hoping once I have the guts to tell my current employers I am leaving I will be able to supply Wellington with some references and hopefully have a job offer

The only problem we have is selling our house- ideally we would like to rent but we are still negociating with our bank whether they will let us do that. Selling could potentially cost us quite alot of money and time and, well, we want to be there NOW.

Visas seem to be a bit of a minefield too- to go through the skilled migrant category it says you need to start work within 3 months of recieving the visa, but no where does it say how long it takes to process, and also I dont know how long my house will take to sell if we go down that route. For all the components to come together at the same time seems abit too good to be true, so I am now looking into a working holiday visa and then applying for a permit to work once I get there.

Anyone with any suggestions would make my day as my brain is sooo frazzled with information!

So sorry for the long rant- I guess I am living up to my username, but am done now

x

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome to the forum

Getting everything to line up for the move is certainly a task. Selling the house is a common delay to people so you're certainly not alone.

As for visa processing, the Working Holiday Visa is the quickest route in if you can afford to leave your house behind until it rents/sells. The only issues with these visas can be whether your employer can take you on with that visa, and working timeframe permitted by the visa (you're not meant to take on full time occupations on a WHV). If the first one isn't an issue and you'll be applying for a full work permit when you start your job, then that makes life easier.

The full residency timeframe is a bit of guess work. Your initial EOI is meant to be processed within 10 days, then your ITA is sent if successful. Once you send that back, it's meant to be processed within a 4 month timeframe. When you are granted residency and pay your fees, you have 12 months to activate your visa by entering New Zealand if outside, or a residency permit will be automatically granted if you are already in NZ. Once you get your permit, if you have conditions such as the 3 months to start your job then obviously you must abide by these, and provide any such evidence requested, if any.

Hope that helps a little, don't be afraid to ask any questions that crop up!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Welcome and good luck with the whole process!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Wondering Aloud, welcome to MTNZ.

It certainly can be a bit of a struggle getting all your ducks lined up in a row, especially when there is a house to sell. I guess you may need a couple of plans in place ready in case the house doesn't sell or sells more quickly than you expected.

Good luck with getting a job offer. Hope it comes good for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

lisamct is offline Junior Member

Hi and welcome from a fellow newbie.

I also a midwife about to start the whole visa process, in the middle of the nightmare that is completing my NZ midwifery registration documents!

Good luck with your applications. We're also considering Wellington or possibly Napier as our first destination in NZ. How was your interview in Wellington, any specific pointers for job hunting etc would be most welcome.