Thread: Hello Everyone!!!

tracey is offline Junior Member

Default Hello Everyone!!!

just wanted to say hello to everyone here. It is the first time we have used a site like this so not sure what to put.
    We are a family of 4 42,38,15 & 12.
    We have just started to fill out our EOI forms and have calculated 120 points. we have done this before 5years ago and got selected but had cold feet!!!! biggest mistake we made. The problem now is my daughter is 15 and leaves school in May. I'm unsure if this move would be good for her ( we are looking to go to NZ around Aug 2010)
    What are the schools and colleges like out there??
    Is it the right time for her to move??
    I realy dont know the anmswers, if we stay then she wants to sit her A levels in English History French and Btec in Law. She is pretty unsure about moving (no boyfriend now but likes to be with her friends)
    Our son who is 12 would love to go with no problems at all. My husband is in IT and I am a Nursery nurse and just about to finish my 3rd year of my Foundation Degree in Early Years and am not sure if there is positions available for my post (at the moment I have my own class of 22 children and another member of staff although I am not a teacher) So I feel alittle unsure but on the other hand this is our dream and we have spent 5 yewars regreting not going!! hope this makes sense would love any advice anyone can give me!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Tracey, welcome to the forum.

Emigrating has to be one of the biggest decisions you will make in your life so it does make a lot of sense to consider it carefully. However, in your case, I think the answer lies here.....

Quote Originally Posted by tracey View Post
    So I feel alittle unsure but on the other hand this is our dream and we have spent 5 yewars regreting not going!!
    It's not good going through life with regrets like this so, what do you do? The longer you put off going, the harder it will be for you for various reasons. The best you could do, I would think, would be to press ahead with your plans, but put in place the provision to return home if things don't work out as you hoped. Nothing is set in concrete, so you are free to change your minds and return home if you put aside enough money for the return airfare.

Regarding your daughter, if she will soon be leaving school, it might be the best time to take her to NZ before she gets settled into further education or a job. Once that happens, you will be stuck for another chunk of time and then boyfriends will be on the scene, which will only make it worse. It may not be easy for her to leave her friends, which are very important to young people, so it might be an idea to look out for penfriends for her so she can build up a friends' network with young people already in NZ. They can tell her what life is like there for youngsters and she won't feel so isolated when she arrives there.

It looks like it's crunch time for you and you need to make your decision now or put it off yet again and spend another load of time with regrets. You KNOW you want to do it.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tracey is offline Junior Member

Talking

Thanks Mother Bear,
    you know when you see things in black and white you just know what the decision is, New Zealand has always been in our hearts, don't reallly know why we have never been!!
    But last night my daughter came home and her words were " mum when we live in New Zealand can I still have a horse" then she went to bed!!!
    So my husband is filling the forms out as I type and we are looking forward to a brand new start for all of us. This time we know we are coming.
    The pen pal idea is great not quite sure how I go about it but will google and see what I come up with.
    thanks again for making things clear and I look forward to posting and panicking as we proceed with our application

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tracey View Post
    The pen pal idea is great not quite sure how I go about it but will google and see what I come up with.
    A while ago someone else also wanted to put their son or daughter in touch with others already in NZ and posted a request on here stating age, interests etc. to see if anyone had a youngster who would like to swap ideas and thoughts. It met with a positive response. Although, these days, we seem to have swung a little away from members with families and have more couples and singles making the move, it might be worth a try. You never know who's reading the forum and might be in a similar position.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.