Thread: Greetings from freezing Wisconsin U.S.A.!!

peteyd33 is offline Junior Member

Default Greetings from freezing Wisconsin U.S.A.!!

Hello everyone! I came across this site last night and was absorbed in it for 2 hours. A lot of helpful information for my wife and I as we plan on moving to NZ in July of 2010.

My wife and I traveled through NZ almost five years ago and fell in love with the country. We said we definitely wanted to get back if we had the chance--well that chance has come...hopefully!

My wife is an Audiologist in training and is in the process of interviewing for various positions around the country: the list includes Hamilton, Wellington, and Christchurch. I am a 3rd year secondary English teacher with a Master's in Education and drama director at my current school. Most likely, I would come to NZ without a teaching job while my wife would be all setup will an "o.k." relocation package. Any info on the job market for teachers in those cities would be helpful.

We feel like we are in a good position to transition nicely to NZ and hope for a great experience. One thing we are struggling with is deciding between the 3 cities. We really enjoy the outdoors and hope to experience all that NZ has to offer over the course of the two years we are there. Any suggestions or general comments about those cities would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and hope to hear from people soon!

keeweegal is offline Kosher Kiwi
    Blog Entries

Welcome from a warm & sunny Hamilton - about 16 deg C (60F) today.

I'm a returning Kiwi - came back to Hamilton in January after 9 years living in the UK. I'm enjoying Hamilton but I think for 'outdoorsy' activities you'll be travelling outside of Hamilton. That said, there's plenty to see in the Waikato (most within a couple of hours drive of Hamilton. Raglan is a nice wee surfy place about half an hour's drive. Also check out Rotorua (affectionately known as Rotovegas) & Taupo. Try this link for North Island Skiing.

Christchurch & Wellington are both bigger cities than Hamilton. Christchurch offers easy access to beaches & snow fields. We have forumites in Wellington & Christchurch so I'll open the floor to them.

If you come to Hamilton, be sure to look up us Hamiltonians

KG
    Inside me is a skinny woman crying to get out but I can usually shut her up with cake!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peteyd33 View Post
    One thing we are struggling with is deciding between the 3 cities.
    Hi and welcome to MTNZ. It could be that the decision will ultimately be governed by where the jobs are. No good hankering after going to Christchurch if the jobs are in Hamilton or vice versa . See what turns up job-wise and you can make your plans accordingly.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Haere mai from Christchurch!

Good luck with the job hunt. I know an ex audiologist who now works on hearing aid support or sales in Wellington & around the country so let me know if you have any Qs with which she might be able to help.

Info for new to NZ teachers:
    TeachNZ - Overseas trained teachers

I think this is where all teaching positions are advertised, but could be wrong: http://www.edgazette.govt.nz/Vacancies/default.aspx

peteyd33 is offline Junior Member

I appreciate all the help. Seems like a friendly group of people posting on this site. Look forward to discussing more questions as they come (which I'm sure they will). Thanks again!