Thread: Hello from New Mexico, USA

AnnaT is offline Junior Member

Smile Hello from New Mexico, USA

Hello, everyone! I have just joined this forum as my husband and I are considering a late in life move to New Zealand. We were on vacation there in 2005 for 3 weeks and thoroughly enjoyed NZ and its people. Kiwis are great!

We were originally (and may still) looking for ways to retire early and then travel for months at a time. One day New Zealand was mentioned on TV and Kent made the offhand comment that, "I'd work for a while longer if I were working in New Zealand." To which I responded, "Really?!?!" With the answer in the affirmative, I started my research.

Since Kent just turned 52, time will be of the essence. I'm not sure if this will work, but we're going to see.

This looks like a friendly place, I'm sure I'll enjoy it here.

Anna

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome to MTNZ Anna. If you are hoping to emigrate to NZ, do either you or Kent have skills that are required in NZ? Having skills that the country needs is very important to enable you to apply because, without these, it would be very difficult to be able to live there long term. Perhaps you are already aware of this but I thought I'd better ask the question just in case you didn't know this.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi, Motherbear! Yes, I've already been on the immigration site and Kent's occupation is on the LTSSL. He's an electrical engineer. It looks as though he has about 115 points right now. I'm still trying to find answers to other questions which may raise his point total, but I'll be posting that question in the appropriate spot.

Kent is going to start some email conversations with job recruiters soon to find out if there is indeed employment for him before we venture too far down this road. I know that everyone's economy is in the toilet right now, so it may not be the best time to do this. If he can get a job offer somehow, then we'll be ever closer to the elusive 140 points.

We're planning another holiday in NZ next year, maybe May, maybe February. We're just not sure yet. Trying to figure out the order in which things must be done is tough!

Thanks for the welcome, I'll posting some questions shortly.

Anna

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

"The 56 year age limit on the Skilled Migrant category and the Work to Residence visas does not apply to general work visas or permits. If you have a job offer in New Zealand and are 56 or older, you can apply for a temporary work visa. "

But keep in mind, you will probably have to re-apply for temporary work visas every year and there is no guarantee they will be renewed. So, if you are even thinking about coming here and applying for permanent residence, time really is of the essence.

At one point I met with the local MP when I was having a problem getting a straight answer from the department of immigration, and was told, at age 52, I needed to get the application for PR in quickly!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Quote Originally Posted by 1happywoman View Post
    At one point I met with the local MP when I was having a problem getting a straight answer from the department of immigration, and was told, at age 52, I needed to get the application for PR in quickly!
    That's kind of the feeling I got from reading on the INZ site. If we want to do this, we shouldn't dawdle.

On a slightly different topic: Is it just me, or is the INZ site moving at a glacial pace? And this is after it was down a good portion of the weekend...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaT View Post
    On a slightly different topic: Is it just me, or is the INZ site moving at a glacial pace? And this is after it was down a good portion of the weekend...
    It's running OK for me.
    Mother Bear

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    It's running OK for me.
    It finally sped back up last night, my time. I think I found another 20 points!

Blog Entries

That can't be bad.
    Mother Bear