Thread: Hi guys..Help appreciated...Skilled migrant Work permit question

jimmyvar85 is offline Junior Member

Red face Hi guys..Help appreciated...Skilled migrant Work permit question

Hi guys...i graduated last year with a Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Analysis from Victoria University of Wellington,currently on an open job search work permit,expires by December this year...To get the 2 year work permit extension to gain experience,one needs to have a job relevant to qualification...If I have a customer service/call centre/bank teller's job in a finance company to gain experience,would I able to get my 2 year work permit,as most graduates don't start working as financial advisors/analysts.....Would immigration say anything about my job title if it's not an analyst one?..thanks)..Jimmy

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Jimmy!

Usually INZ would be looking for certain 'buzz' words in any job title you were offered but, if you say financial advisers/analysts have to start at the bottom and work their way up, then it might be an idea to approach INZ to explain the situation and get their take on it. It might be classed as 'on the job training'.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default hey..thanks..

thanks for your answer)

Default Hey Motherbear,need more advice please)

I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Financial Analysis from Victoria Uni of Wellington.Currently on an open work permit which expires this december.I still don't have a job...

I have done auditing/accounting papers in my Bachelor of Commerce(Hons) overseas qualification recognised by NZQA.I just checked the Immediate Skills Shortage List pdf on the immigration website and they put up a new list on 27 July,2009 which shows auditing on it..Now,I was wondering if I could claim bonus points for my Bachelor of Commerce since I have studied auditing and it comes under immediate shortage skills list.....Thanks)

Blog Entries

You can only claim points when you are applying directly for PR and your job skill is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List. Any job skills listed on the Immediate Skill Shortage List would only allow you to apply for a work visa. This tries to explain the difference between the two.
    Mother Bear

Default Hi Motherbear..thanks),question

Hi Motherbear,thanks for your reply.

In some article online,I read that many are not able to renew their permits because employers must now show that New Zealanders are unavailable and there are more locals available now because of the recession.

I am on a graduate job search work permit.Have a post graduate diploma in financial analysis.One of my friends has just started a small company and is interested in giving me a finance job without wanting to advertise the job position on any job websites/newspapers since he already knows me and I have the relevant qualification.

Once I apply for the 2 year permit,do I still need to show any evidence that New Zealanders are unavailable for this finance job? Or will a job offer letter,job description,employer supplementary form be enough?

Also,is there a minimum wage for a finance job?..Though the minimum wage is 12.50 for any job in the market,does immigration expect me to have a salary of atleast 18$ or more per hour since it is a finance job.And will the job title of a finance assistant be enough to get a guaranteed work permit without any hassles?

Sorry for the long message).

Thanks for your help,
    Jimmy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyvar85 View Post
    Also,is there a minimum wage for a finance job?..Though the minimum wage is 12.50 for any job in the market,does immigration expect me to have a salary of atleast 18$ or more per hour since it is a finance job.
    Try these links for guidance on salaries. The Hays one deals with both NZ and OZ so just seek out the ones for NZ.

Hays
    Robert Walters
    Who earns what?

Wouldn't like to hazard a guess about the job title of Finance Assistant because it doesn't sound as 'skilled' as someone in finance who isn't an assistant, if you get my meaning.
    Mother Bear