Thread: Hi - newbie here with so many questions!

Nat
    Nat is offline Junior Member

Default Hi - newbie here with so many questions!

Hello, I'm Nat, I'm 25 from Leeds UK

goodness me, where to start, I have so many questions about relocating to NZ and don't know where to start really. Any guidance would be fantastic, it's all so overwhelming.

Basically, background info :

My husband (aged 32) has for several years worked in IT support. However last year we decided we were going to attempt a business venture and set up our own company (an online penny auction website), so he quit his job and we took out a second mortgage on the house plus several loans to get started, and despite a decent start it's gone downhill and we haven't had as much custom as we need to keep afloat. We're still desperately trying to keep it going but unless we win the lottery or something in the next couple of weeks we're going to have to end the business.

We're now in a situation where even if both him and I get full time jobs it won't be enough to cover the monthly outgoing bills.....not to mention the fact that I currently CAN'T get a full time job because I'm due to give birth to our third child in 2 weeks time!

So we've been trying to evaluate our options. If we sell our house we'd be able to pay off all the debts, but then we'd have nowhere to live. Well, okay, in this country we'd probably be able to buy something small to live in but for a family of 5 that's going to be pushing it a bit. It's awful that it's come to this but there you go, we took a risk with setting up the business and it didn't pay off.....our own stupid fault.

Sooo after much deliberation and looking at house prices abroad and so on, it seems feasible that we might be able to move to NZ. House prices seem reasonable there, after selling off our house in the UK and paying our bills, plus taking into consideration the amount of money needed to relocate, we should still be left with at least 130k or thereabouts which, if the NZ estate agents are correct by the look of it we should be able to purchase a family home there, whereas in the UK that wouldn't get us all that far in terms of property.

We've looked into NZ in terms of country, climate, education etc. and it seems like a nice place to raise a family. It's a big step, but actually several years ago we even spoke about possibly relocating one day (we were considering NZ, or Aus, or Canada), so it's not something that has PURELY come about because of our failing business.

The problem mainly is going about getting Visas I think. Now, as I mentioned previously my husband has several years experience working in IT support, and has several other programming qualifications (certificates in things such as C++ and that kind of thing), which appear to be on the skills shortage list, but the main issue is that he doesn't have a degree. He has the work experience, plus the courses which he did were from colleges but they're not DEGREES so I don't know if they even count.

I have been searching on NZ job-search websites and there are many jobs available which he would be perfect for - the exact sort of thing that he used to do before he quit his job for this auction website of ours - but is that going to be enough to get us there? I'm not sure. Are degrees a requirement to prove that you have the skills necessary on the skills shortage list, or does work experience plus college certificates count towards points?

this sort of job, for example, is pretty much EXACTLY the same kind of job he was doing previously - he would be able to do this with no problems whatsoever :

SEEK jobs database and employment advice

In terms of english, well we're both fluent in English with GCSEs proving such, so that's not a problem.

We have no family over there, so we can't get sponsored.

I'm not sure of the best way to approach this then. I've been reading about temporary work visas which last 30 months.....is it the case that you can apply for one of these, and then head over there, get a job, and work in that job for 2 years and then automatically apply for a permanent residence visa? Or is it more complicated than that?

Really confused as to the sort of steps to take to kick start all this. We need to do it quite quickly, as I say, for financial issues. I mean, in the process we could sell the house at auction, pay off our debts and move in with my mother-in-law, but it would be very cramped and not ideal. I wouldn't like to do that for more than a few months.

It's all very worrying, as I say particularly as I'm due to give birth in 2 weeks time! (14th September is my due date). Our other children are 2 years old and 4 years old.

I need some guidance basically. Can anybody offer me any advice?

If you managed to read through all that, well done, sorry it was rather lengthy!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Nat and welcome aboard.

This immigration lark is quite daunting so it takes a bit of time to plough your way through it and decide what's the right way to go about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    I'm not sure of the best way to approach this then. I've been reading about temporary work visas which last 30 months.....is it the case that you can apply for one of these, and then head over there, get a job, and work in that job for 2 years and then automatically apply for a permanent residence visa? Or is it more complicated than that?
    To be able to apply for a work visa you first need a job offer and it must be in a skilled occupation rather than a job that any kiwi could do. Until the recession hit hard you could get a work visa for up to 3 years, but that has now been cut to 1 year so there's not much security there. There has been an influx of kiwis returning from overseas because they lost their lucrative pay packets in far off lands and this has rocked the job market considerably. To help the kiwis slip back into work, INZ is restricting the number of migrants taking work visas.

If your husband has a job skill that is on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and finds he has 100 or more points (see below links) he should be able to apply for residency under the Skilled Migrant Category if he has several years' relevant work experience. With some job skills it isn't always necessary to have a degree although this would help a lot with gathering enough points. If he hasn't got a degree he obviously wouldn't be able to claim points for it and sometimes this can leave some people short of the mark.

Quick check for Skilled Migrant Category
    Essential skills in Demand
    Points structure
    Claiming points

If your husband doesn't have enough points to apply directly for residency (PR), he could try apply for a Work to Residence visa but he would need a job offer for this. With a WTR visa he would need to work for 2 years or until he found he had enough points to apply for residency.

I don't want to bombard you with too much information in one go so I'll let you digest all this and come back if you have further questions.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Hi Nat,
    Whether or not a degree matters to the employer will really depend on the job. Most will probably be more interested in the actual experience and knowledge he has, and some other form of qualification such as his Certificates etc. will be reassuring for them. Of course he may be disadvantaged if those he is competing with for the position have the experience and a degree, so he needs to emphasise his experience and the responsibility he has held.
    There are different types and levels of IT work, and some types of software development really do require a high level of technical knowledge such as is gained through a degree, but not necessarily a Comp Sci degree.
    Many of the programming positions I have seen advertised are for one of the variants of C, but my gut feeling is he would be better off approaching companies re: the support field where he has direct experience, and using programming qualifications etc. to show that he has a broader knowledge base..
    From what MotherBear has said, getting a job offer would be very helpful.