Thread: Indonesian trying to be Kiwi

feisy is offline Junior Member

Smile Indonesian trying to be Kiwi

hi, I am Feisy, currenty I am in Jakarta, Indonesia and is longing to move to NZ at soonest....

I am still confused whether I should wait for a job offer to go there - which is my preference actually, however, I dont want to wait so long....

I am an insurance broker, and been more than 10 years in the insurance industry.

Is it possible to enter NZ using visit visa, and trying to find a work using that visa? any job will do as a starter......
    I am going with my husband and my toddler....

Many thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Feisy

Some people do enter NZ on a visit visa and look for work but it is not advisable to let immigration know this. Coming to NZ to look for work is always a risky option and it is even more so at the moment because jobs are not so plentiful due to the recession. If you did get an offer it would need to be in a skilled position and one that a kiwi couldn't do, so it couldn't be 'just any job'. Insurance broker is on the list of skilled occupations so, if you stick to that, you should be OK.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi motherbear,
    I am thankful for your prompt reply

Are you suggesting me to apply for a skilled migrant visa? Will it be okay to apply for one, after my entrance to NZ?

I've heard that it's a lot easier to get a job if you are already inside the country.....

I couldnt find insurance broker under the list of skilled occupations, do you have the correct link for this?

I hope I dont trouble you so much....

Thanks again....

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I found the page in the INZ Operations Manual. It won't let me add a direct link to it. On the index of the manual, go to Appendices and click on Appendix 11 List of Skilled Occupations. There are several lists and the heading for the one you want is Skill Level Two Occupations. It's more than halfway down the page.

To be able to apply directly as a Skilled Migrant you would need to have a job title which appears on the Long Term Skill Shortage List and I can't see Insurance Broker on there, nor can I see it on the Immediate Skill Shortage List so you wouldn't be able to apply for a Work to Residence visa either unless you could find a job with an accredited employer (someone who has permission to employ overseas applicants). Even though your job is classed as 'skilled' it doesn't always mean it can lead to residency, just that you should be able to apply for a work permit if you have a job offer.

It is usually a lot easier to get a job offer if you are in NZ and come face to face with potential employers. It's just that, at the moment, finding a job has become much more difficult because many kiwis have returned to NZ after losing their jobs overseas and they have taken up a lot of the jobs. Also some companies have closed due to the recession. If you are prepared to take a risk, then it's fine to go there if you are happy with that decision.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Dear Motherbear,

Indeed, thank you again :)

I will let you know my decision and how it is progressing...just as a sharing....

Kind regards