Thread: New member

mouseandmoon is offline Junior Member

Default New member

Hi, my wife and I have two kids in Australia, which is where we want to be in the long term. But it looks so difficult to get into Aus - and expensive, 25,000 as a sponsored parent. So we have decided to begin our new life in New Zealand. My wifes sister lives in NZ and we plan to join her, staying in NZ for a few years before moving on to Aus.
    Anyway, I am just beginning to research the whole thing and it is a minefield of confusing information and so many options of entry. We were hoping to move over late 2010. Perhaps that is a little optimistic!

I've looked around the web forums and this one seems to be the best, being open, honest and friendly - I look forward to the journey.....

Best wishes to everyone.
    mouseandmoon

oops sorry, I fogot to tell you where we live - Shropshire, UK. Thanks

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome aboard M&M.

I've heard that Oz is difficult to get into, but NZ immigration is no walk in the park either. Can I ask if you will ultimately be wanting to work in Oz or just retire there? Why I ask is that Oz has a retirement visa if you wanted to go via that route rather than being sponsored. I can't honestly say whether it would be any cheaper though because I believe you still have to prove that you have sufficient assets to be allowed to settle there. Annoyingly, NZ doesn't yet have a retirement visa although the new government were talking about it at one point. Currently there is a huge waiting list of parents waiting to be sponsored by their families in NZ so it's very daunting for those folks, like me, who haven't even joined the queue yet . I don't know what the timescale is for sponsoring other family members but, for your sake, I hope it's not that long.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks MB.
    We intend to work, I'm only 45 (never thought I would ever say 'only' about being 45) but at the moment I feel a lot older. Don't the years fly by?

I'm now trying to find the quickest way in to NZ, without spending too much money. I think the best option is to find a job offer near my sister-in-laws, where we will be living to begin with. We had a holiday there last year and just loved it. The country is so beautiful.

Can you recommend the best site for information, I know about the .gov one which has the points table, etc but not sure if there are others I should be checking too.

Regards
    mouseandmoon

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mouseandmoon View Post
    Can you recommend the best site for information, I know about the .gov one which has the points table, etc but not sure if there are others I should be checking too.
    The INZ website is the bible of NZ immigration, particularly the Operations Manual , although it can be quite difficult to plow through when you're looking for specific information. The best you can do, I'd imagine, is to ask questions on here and we'll try to point you in the right direction.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you.