Thread: Hi from Slovenia

steinbock is offline Member

Default Hi from Slovenia

Another newbie here.

I've been reading this forum for a while but haven't registered so far. We're a family of 4 waiting desperately to book one way flights to New Zealand.

We're deep in the process which we started about a year ago with NZQA assessments, IELTS test, etc. This June and July we decided to do our recce for a month to touch the water before we really comit ourselves and we enjoyed every second there. We went all the way from Auckland , Tauranga, Napier, Wellington, Nelson and Christchurch. Christchurch is our favourite however for a start we would go any place.

So we "officially" started with our EOI submitted this July, having some fight with NZIS as they didn't want to recognise my IT background but over n-emails where I described my backround in details and even had to go back to NZQA for revised report we're finally through. This week we received an email from NZIS saying they are in a position to issue us ITA. But I guess the real fun is yet to be started.

Why we chose New Zealand? It's been a dream in my mind for over 10 years, being sick for it myself only, but after our recce this obsession is now spread over all 4 of us. People, landscape, food, words just cannot describe the beauty and feelings we experienced there. I am not saying there is milk and honey everywhere but it is far better than any other European country may be.

Cheers to everybody.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hello Steinbock, welcome to the forum.

Good luck with your ITA. Hope it goes smoothly for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default hi there

welcome to the forum and all the best for your application!
    I am from your neighbour country Austria and have been living in NZ since about 16 months now. I really enjoy it here as the live is a bit more back laid and relaxed and sometimes it seems that I am back in time here (20 years or so).
    But I still miss my homecountry very much altough I never thought that I will be homesick. So never underestimate that but you will move with your family so all gud

Cheers, ANita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Thanks girls. I also hope everything goes smoothly however you may never know with NZIS. And I am prepared to fight What bothers me is that they may grant WTR instead of PR and with property to sell here and 2 kids behind this would complicate our plans.

Anita, I live 2 kms from austrian border so go often to Villach and Klagenfurt and explore Kärnten lakes, mountains and ski resorts. I think you are the first one I know from Austria, there are a lot of Germans there in NZ, but not Oesterreicher I guess.

Default true...

the Austrian community here is not big....although there exists an Austrian Club in Auckland which I have joined recently:)
    We do things like hiking and meeting up for dinners, very nice to speak Austrian (German I mean) from time to time as my NZ partner only speaks English.

We are going to Austria in December to get marriedI am so looking forwrd!!

Wish you and your family all the best for the move !

Greetings, ANita

PR approved May 2010

People Space is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by steinbock View Post
    ...I think you are the first one I know from Austria, there are a lot of Germans there in NZ, but not Oesterreicher I guess.
    I know some Germans in NZ and a Kiwi in Oesterreich, but no Oesterreicher in NZ... yet!

Yeah, and I just found out that Austria is excused from residence fee (among Finland, Iceland and Japan). Lucky you

@ Anita: congratulations for your decision, I see you will say YES just after New Year so a reason for double celebration. I suppose you have skiing plans behind

@ People Space: Christchurch is our favourite destination, we were there for 10 days and is just the place we're looking for. Close to mountains (for me) and on the beach (for OH), and just the right size, Auckland is too crowdy for me.

Default hmm...

...that is weird I had to pay $ 700 when I lodged my residence application. Maybe because I am already in NZ?! Could be that if you apply and you are still in Austria...then it is $ 0.

Yesss, for sure we will go skiing and snowboarding! And I already miss the mountains, here in Auckland I only have the vulcano hills and they do not count.

@people space....I also know a kiwi in Austria, he is from Christchurch and married to a Austrian. But that s they only one there I guess....

Cheers,
    Anita

PR approved May 2010