Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've got a secret!

saxman is offline Junior Member
    Now Wales, next year Auckland (hopefully)

Talking I've got a secret!

Hello all.

My name is Phil and I'm from Wales.

I'm quite a dab hand when it comes to computers, but I've NEVER ever done anything like this before. So if I've done this wrong, please feel free point me in the right direction.

To my secret.

In December this year I will be marrying a lovely Aucklander... in Auckland!
    We're currently living in Wales and the 'better half' is already making plans for a new house next year.
    She gets a bit weepy now and again, understandably missing her family in NZ.
    What she doesn't know is that at our wedding reception I plan to announce that I've decided to (hopefully) move to Auckland next year.

Over the last couple of years I been several times and it's never long enough.
    I've travelled the world... no really! We met whilst working on a cruise ship.
    In all the places I've been New Zealand is by far the best.
    The people are warm and friendly. The landscape is beautiful, and you drive on the left. It doesn't get any better!

I can't wait to join you.

Phil from Wales.

PS: is it possible to overdo "trademe", "realestate" and "seek".co.nz ?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Phil. Welcome to MTNZ.

Which part of Wales are you from? There's a smattering of us on here that are from South Wales.

What a lovely surprise it will be (or at least I hope it will be ) when you make your announcement at the wedding. I doubt whether it will be just your fiancee that will be delighted as her family will be equally surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by saxman
    PS: is it possible to overdo "trademe", "realestate" and "seek".co.nz ?
    If you're already hammering those sites, you're almost a fully-fledged kiwi. Either that or a very keen migrant-to-be.

Good luck to you!
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hi MotherBear,

Thank you for replying. I've noticed your name on quite a few threads. Are you part of the welcoming party?

I'm from Swansea (South Wales). But the spooky thing is I was brought up in a place called New Zealand Street!!! It's destiny, "circle of life" and all that.

I'm sure my announcement is going to go down well. All her friends a relatives have been trying to coax me. To be fair to 'my fair lady', she's spent much of the last 10 years travelling the world only seeing family once or twice every couple of years.

I can hardly wait to get back there for another look.

Ciao for now.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

MB? Part of the welcoming party? That's an understatement, she's the life force of the forum!

Welcome to the forum, saxman - I'm from Cardiff and my husband (Taffy) is from Pontypool so it's nice to have another Welshman on board

Fab story about how you're going to surprise your lady

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl View Post
    MB? Part of the welcoming party? That's an understatement, she's the life force of the forum!
    Yeah, I'm the mouthy one.

And I'm from Pontypool as well (I guess I would be as I'm Taffy's devoted mum) . And from Brecon before that.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Hello Welshgirl,

How long have you all been there?

Last time we were there on our way to Otorohanga we were passing through Hamilton when they were preparing for the V8's. Bet that was exciting.

Traveling back from Wellington (through the desert rd) I was struck by how similar some of the country side was to parts of Wales. Sometimes I thought I was in West Wales, other times the Brecon Beacons. Of course, the BIG snow covered mountain was a bit of a giveaway!

kokopeli is offline God like figure

How's it going Saxman. With a name like that you must be a blower....

Whatever gave you that impression? Oh yes!!

Saxes and clarinet. Do you sympathise?

What's the scene like in Auckland?
    Can't seem to find much on the net.

Will definately be trying to find some local bands when I get there later this year.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Yup, only play my alto these days, but I've done the rest...

Don't know about AKL. Chch has got a few big bands, the jazz school and a few jamming/open mic places.

The music shops here are a bit disappointing. Hard to find anywhere with a decent core woodwind range. Most lack any decent quality instruments. No one sells Selmers. Only Yamahas are 25-series student models. I've seen a few Yanis, but again only basic models. Most places stock really cheap Chinese or Taiwanese copies, but charge huge prices for them. Same thing with guitars and pianos....

There are a few decent techs in NZ, but spares and reeds tend to be pricey because they are all imported. It's worth stocking up before you come out. Some of the UK retailers will ship to NZ, but they usually charge way too much. I buy my bits in the UK and get family to post them out.

Thanks kokopeli,

Looks like I'll have to upgrade my Altos before I come.

Ever heard of a Mauriat. Mate of mine just bought a Tenor.... Wicked! Very good reviews all round.

I remember buying some reeds in Auckland city years (and years) ago whilst on a cruise, but couldn't find the shop again last time I visited. Looking in the the phone book there doesn't seem to be many 'wind' shops. All the local ones (where the in-laws-to-be live) are more rhythm based with the odd couple of windies.

What's the instrument repair scene like. I've been thinking about maybe training in woodwind repairs for when I join everyone down there.

As for reeds: I'M STILL LOOKING FOR A GOOD ONE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast