Thread: Confused :-s

incabink is offline Junior Member

Default Confused :-s

Hi,

Myself and my husband are looking to move to NZ. We want to do it above board and have reasearched as much as we can...

My husband is 29 and is an Electronic Design Engineer and this is on the LTSSL.

I am 28 and have no formal qualifications (except GCSE's, which are not counted).

We have no children.

We are confused as to what to do next, as from what we can gather, my husband needs to have a job offer to get us a reasonable amount of points to enable us to submit an EOI, we only get 90 points, but i'm not sure i'm even filling it in right :-s.

We have been told by a recruitment consultant in NZ that he really needs a visa before she can put him forward for any jobs.. but how is he supposed to get a visa without a job offer?

The mind boggles!

Help!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi Incabink. Welcome!

As you say, you need a job offer first before you can apply for a work visa. Saying you need a visa first is a load of twaddle and that recruitment consultant should know that if they are doing their work properly. Sometimes employers put forward that argument when they are trying to avoid getting tangled up with a migrant.

The only way you can increase points, if you have explored all the other options is, as you say, by getting a job offer. I take it you have gone through the points indicator and the points table and bonus points table and also read through this ?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thank you for the reply mother bear.

We have looked at the points indicator and I know it sounds dumb but some of the questions are a bit confusing and we don't want to answer yes when we should be answering no.

I think the point that the recruitment consultant was trying to make was that in this current financial climate, her clients will not wait for someone who has not yet applied for a visa.

I don't get why we're not getting enough points as like I say my husband's work is on the LTSSL.

I think maybe we'll just have to bite the bullet and use a migration company :-(

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

I do agree that some of the questions are confusing, and the places they have listed to go for further explanation really don't help. If your husbands line of work is listed on the long term shortage list, seems to me his education and experience would put you over the number of points needed to come here.

I think your husband could start looking for jobs on his own. It might take awhile for him to get an offer, and he will need something in writing, but that would definately bode well. I would really urge you to try and do as much as you can for yourself. No matter how much you pay any immigration consultant or company to help you, in the end, the very best advocate for you will be - you!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by incabink View Post
    I think the point that the recruitment consultant was trying to make was that in this current financial climate, her clients will not wait for someone who has not yet applied for a visa.
    The point is that you aren't allowed to apply for a work visa until you have a job offer. You could apply for PR without one, if you had enough points, but not a work visa.

Can we try to help you with some of the EOI questions you are worried about?
    Mother Bear

Thanks motherbear and 1happywoman.

We have started to complete the EOI anywany and it does appear that we will have enough points to submit it (currently 120)

We have enough savings to support us if and when we finally make it over, i'm sure that I will be posting for help on some of the EOI questions, as you are right and they are not 100% clear what they are asking for.

Particularly the question that basically asks you to prove your standard of English! I have just put that we are British Citizens, have lived in England all of our lives and that English is our native language... Does anyone know if that will be acceptable? Or will we have to take the tests anyway?

Thanks for your replies...

Blog Entries

No you shouldn't have to do the tests if you can show you are British. There has to be some benefit to being British.
    Mother Bear

Lonely is offline Junior Member

Default Speaking English

That's one question that made me giggle. Well mad if honest born and bred, what do they expect you to speak.

And when you arrive here and start calling IRD or other places the person on the other end of the phone can just about speak ENGLISH.

But I think not sure if right or not so please don't quote me lots of company's have sent jobs abroad? And they are training employers to speak like Kiwi's.

Have to laugh.